• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Turn Signal Activating Hazard Lights

Box kicker

NAXJA Forum User
So I've been told multiple times that on occasion my 4 ways come on after I use my turn signal. I've seen this on other XJ's as I drive around, so I'm hoping someone has solved this problem. I'm currently running a 2000 4.0L 6 cyl.

Time for a new turn signal switch.

Very common problem on the late models. Mine went out immediately after I purchased my Jeep several years ago, and it's acting up again right now.

They're in stock at your local parts house, but if you can wait a couple of days I highly recommend checking Rock Auto as their prices are very reasonable (and more often than not you can find better quality parts than from the local stores).

Yep, its the turn signal switch. Have had it happen on 2 '99s and an '00 TJ.

What you could try also is take the switch apart, clean all the grease out of it, and then give the terminals a light sanding with some emery cloth to clean any corrosion. Cover the terminals in dielectric grease, and then reassemble. It worked for me on two different vehicles. If it doesn't work, no big deal, you were going to replace it anyways.

its usually the multifunction turn signal/ high beam switch itself, you can attempt to take it apart and clean it and lube it with some new dielectric grease which is semi difficult due to the springs inside, replace it with one from a junkyard and try your luck or get a new one for about $30 online.

another cheap alternative that sometimes works is to turn the 4 ways on and off multiple times while the signal is either left or right, sometimes thats lucky enough to clear a piece of stuck dust.

also make sure all the bulbs themselves are properly seated and are in good working order.

Yep, its the turn signal switch. Have had it happen on 2 '99s and an '00 TJ.

What you could try also is take the switch apart, clean all the grease out of it, and then give the terminals a light sanding with some emery cloth to clean any corrosion. Cover the terminals in dielectric grease, and then reassemble. It worked for me on two different vehicles. If it doesn't work, no big deal, you were going to replace it anyways.

Well, how would I go about removing/taking apart the switch?

Back