• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering Box Brace W/ Custom Bumper

csudman

NAXJA Forum User
Thinking about boxing the area around my steering box when I build my front bumper. (the red area in the pic) Think this will take some of the stress of the unibody and transfer it to the bumper mounts. Thoughts?
Forgive the crappy drawing.
0.jpg

that is kind of what I did with my new bumper, except it is a C-rok spacer plate on the inside and my new bumper mounts on the outside.

I find the ORGS Mfg. SBS plates to be a great value for the dollar.

I usually fab everything myself, but the SBS plates are a no-brainer. The sleeves really tie the inner and outer frame rail together, and would be difficult to duplicate without the use of a lathe. As a bonus, you get some really cool tow hook mounts as well.

CRASH

I also recommend the SBS from ORGS.

The picture you show has only 2 bolts and there are three that hold the steering box on. So you'll need to modify you design to take that bolt into account. Plus the stock spacer to cradle the steering box.

The good thing about the SBS is you can toss the aluminum spacer that is sandwiched between the steering box and the "frame", the SBS sleeves take the place of the spacer.

Also the SBS is setup to install on both drivers and passengers side of the frame.

Back