• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project "Yellow Snow"

BIGSLVRXJ

NAXJA Forum User
My newest project...a 1997 Cherokee Country with 236,000 miles that came from Tyler (XJ&CHZ4ME). As far as I know, its the original engine, transmission, and transfer case. The transmission and transfer case are smooth as silk but the motor is presumably on it's last leg, it has a bit louder than normal ticking noise (hence part of the name REDZONE, the other part comes from it's painstakingly red color). I'm going to try doing a synthetic oil change and running Lucas oil treatment through it to see if it quiets it down, if not, I will be thinking about swapping in a spare motor that also came with the deal.

I already have a full 6.5" lift kit sitting waiting to go on, it's hopefully going to go on tomorrow or Thursday. Jason from Rough Country treated me right once again hooking me up with coils, leafs, shocks, brake lines, drop brackets and their new track bar...all the essentials. I also have the TNT Customs (Trek's) bellypan to put on, but still have to buy the arms which are a relatively large expense, that will be the long-term solution.

Anyway enough with the chit chat...here are some pics...

Redzone9302009010.jpg

Redzone9302009011.jpg

Redzone9302009012.jpg

Redzone9302009013.jpg

Redzone9302009014.jpg

The roof braces must have been glued back down because now it's dented pretty severely...

Redzone9302009018.jpg

Factory door panel pockets which are somewhat rare in 97-01s. Too bad the PO decided to bautch speaker grilles onto them.

Redzone9302009015.jpg

PO broke the seat bolt off and neglected doing anything about it, so the seat sits at a great angle :greensmok

Redzone9302009016.jpg

Redzone9302009017.jpg

Redzone9302009019.jpg

Redzone9302009020.jpg

Redzone9302009021.jpg

I am in the process of converting the interior over to the 99+ full charcoal to eliminate the light gray. I've gotten the carpet and dash done already, just looking for a few odds and ends to finish up the rest. Also got a factory CD/Tapedeck combo in with a woodgrain dash bezel (since it should have had one anyway). The outside has changed a bit too with a cowl hood and non-dented hatch on it now, it looks quite a bit different. New pics will be up tomorrow or the next day with the lift.

Oh by the way, assuming it holds together, this will be what shows up to all events including WF '10 with me. :)

Thanks for looking and let me know what you think.

-Collin

Last edited:
Re: Project "REDZONE"

a new project for you and more money towards the farm funds for me! A win-win combination! :D

Nice, Collin! Is the MJ no more?

You like to stay really busy,don't ya? :D

the manche is making it's way elsewhere for storage and may be resurected as a project in the future.... (he told me this past weekend that was the plan)

the manche is making it's way elsewhere for storage and may be resurected as a project in the future.... (he told me this past weekend that was the plan)

Right on. Collin and his projects! :D

The Comanche is just sitting in the garage under my house right now. I have no heated garage to work in in the Winter so unfortunately that will be my hibernation and studying time for the most part, trying to get all my Jeep projects finished up in what's left of the Fall.

Back to REDZONE...Started lifting it today and it's being very temperamental with me. Both front leaf eye bolts and one LCA bolt were seized in the sleeves. Tomorrow it will be time to grind open the leaf springs to get to the offending sleeves. One drop bracket is more or less on and the rear axle is completely out. If I can actually wake my lazy ars up at a reasonable time tomorrow I still plan to have it 99% if not 100% complete by tomorrow evening. I will definitely post pictures.

post up some pics of the Christmas ornament once you get it lifted :D I am excited to see it lifted, but more excited to see the vast array of colors you have on the rig now .l. :D .l.

they were for sale last I knew.....

they were for sale last I knew.....
The Moabs sold last night...

This thing has fought me every step of the way as far as lift goes. Both front leaf bolts were seized in their sleeves. After hacking the left leaf spring and bolt into several pieces I finally got it out, the right one is still in the leaf, it doesn't even seem to be backing out of the welded nut, it turns, but not much is happening. I also had one of frame side LCA bolts seize up in it's sleeve, so that had to be cut out as well. Without a cutting torch, removing the full packs can be a pain...especially on a Jeep with almost a quarter million miles. Anyway, the front is most of the way done, it turned out pretty big, I'm happy with it.

REDZONEhalflift001.jpg

REDZONEhalflift004.jpg

REDZONEhalflift009.jpg

I hope to work on it some more today and it will be finished either tomorrow or Thursday. It's going down to Tyler's for paint this weekend if all goes as planned, so hopefully it will all be one color again. I'll keep you guys posted as more work gets done.

-Collin

i dont no but i kinda like the green front end
Then you would've really liked the Comanche I was building Watson, the whole thing was going to be that color.

Here comes santa clause, here comes santa clause in a lifted XJ! :D Collin I'm thinking the whole thing needs to be that color!

Here comes santa clause, here comes santa clause in a lifted XJ! :D Collin I'm thinking the whole thing needs to be that color!
Dang it Aaron, don't tempt me :). It's going "John Deere Blitz Black" this go around, I am still planning on building that Comanche "Grabber Green" though.

Well today I got the other leaf spring out, both had to have the front eyes cut completely off and then I cut the bolt in thirds more or less...I'm just happy the weld nuts didn't snap off. Tomorrow the lift will be complete, I have to hook up the track bar and front brake lines and then get the backing plates and brake lines bent for the rear axle. Shouldn't be too bad, completion pics will be up in the evening I hope.

"Redzone"?
Are you trying to keep it within 20?:dunce:

Looking good radio man!

if he can get it all together tonight it is supposed to be heading down in the morning to paint it .....yellow....so now he will have to change the name to project "Yellow Snow"

Back