• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Any in political science?

maybe one day....might minor in poli sci.

Politics is considered a 'science' ? Wow...., next thing you know they will be calling lawyers 'legal engineers' and they'll be able to add PE after Esq.

I worked with a "PoliSci" major some years ago. Typical conversation, once we started talking about his major...

"Can you come up with a mathematical model for politial behaviour?"
"What?"
"If you can't describe it mathematically, it isn't a science. Calling a tail a leg does not make the name fit..."

Conversations usually went downhill from there. Oddly enough, this wasn't a one-time conversation - we ended up having this (he started them, usually) a few times a week...

Sorry, but I view "Politial Science" to be about as useful a major as "Liberal Arts" - great way to waste four years without actually learning anything useful or productive...

My roomate is poly sci, i give him crap for it every day. Possibly the most useless major offered. However, his career will be as a Naval Officer, so any degree will work, might as well go with an easy one

My wife has a Bachelor's in Political Science. While in school, she thought she wanted to be in politics. After graduating, she worked for the governor of Mississippi for about a year and hated it. She had no idea of the corruption and backscratching that goes on. She then became a history teacher, and did that for six years. Now she is a stay at home mom and homeschools my kids.

i think the days of pursuing a career with it are dwindling,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in a lot of universities it is not so much viewed as a 'career major' such as business or education, but as a pre-graduate school major.

I have been told by several professors that it is the most heavily favored undergraduate degree when applying to law school, and favors highly in other fields as well

rock rash said:
what do you plan to do with it?
Working on a history degree, but considered poli sci as a minor. Going to graduate school of some form be it in pursuit of a masters or law school. Thats as far as I've thought ahead for now, which works for me for the time being.

I did not "study" it persay, just worked in the field (Constituent Assistant for a MP (Canada) and I do sit as the President of a Lobby Group. You can ask me anything you like!

I know I am in Canada with a very different system of Government, but somethings in politics will never change, so hit it up!

Jeff

Back