• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Battery cables

Parts store double eyelet cables work just fine, or you could make your own. I have the ratchet crimpers needed to make my own cables, but continue to use the parts store eyelet cables. Biggest upgrade to cranking speeds and starting speed has been a high cca battery (oddyssey). I dont mean to be an elitist, but the dumbass over-oversizing of battery cables game is one i dont play.

I don't trust myself to make my own. I've seen enough high current applications smoke/melt/C fire to want to spend a little bit of money on this. If anything, it can be a "just for my (in)sanity" mod.

I used this guy and his cables looked just like the pictures:
http://www.custombatterycables.com/

Not cheap, but look really nice and appear to be made well.

Those look like a nice option.

I would recommend spending the extra $22 to get the military style terminals and covers. Those make it easier to add stuff down the line.

Kelley's work in progress is still around. I ordered some cables from him back in July. There was a few week lead time, as he was out of some of the parts, but I still received new cables in a few weeks. If there is not an emergency where you need them right away, they are still really high quality cables and worth the wait.

Parts store double eyelet cables work just fine, or you could make your own. I have the ratchet crimpers needed to make my own cables, but continue to use the parts store eyelet cables. Biggest upgrade to cranking speeds and starting speed has been a high cca battery (oddyssey). I dont mean to be an elitist, but the dumbass over-oversizing of battery cables game is one i dont play.

Typically the parts store jobbies are coarse strand.
Also, Chrysler was really good about under-undersizing all the wiring in the XJ. Somewhere in the middle should be about right. If you care that much run the calc.

IF you go to your local parts store for cable, bring your cables or at least have measurements. Jon may have them on his WIP site.
But 4GA should be just fine.

I just ordered some bulk 1awg in black and red and about to make a set for myself and a couple of guys local here. If I have enough cable left over I can make a xtra set.

Me either.

AWG 1....really.

DSCN0101_zpsmtgbv6zs.jpg
:gee:

DIY 6 AWG worked out alright on XJ I've.

Back