• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rubicon Trail ?

Boatwrench

NAXJA Forum User
Mid June my Son In Law is going to Rubithon with his Toyota and asked me to go and ride shot gun. Unfortunately due to family conflicts we will be going in Friday morning, (the last day) and meeting the large group at Rubicon Springs for the dinner and raffle. I have not been on the Rubicon Trail since (gulp) 1977 during a Jamboree.

My questions: Is the trail fairly well marked? Are there tire marks to follow like in Moab? Can a novice navigate the directions?

Thanks,
Tom

Is there some kinda repellent to keep toyota smell off?

just follow the gear oil, no seriously there will be markings and signs on the slab the trail is easy to spot (worn well). with the amount of people that will be there, you will have no problems!

the toyota smell...well thats going to be something you will have to take care of when you get home. ever been skunked? try the ol tomatoe juice in the bathtub trick, should work. oh and take some pics!

so i'm running 33" Xterrains, with a non-disco D30(might upgrade to large u joint shafts), rear xj 44, running stock 3.55 gears, and will lock an axle when i go(was told the rear is better for rubi), and around 4" of lift, what should i expect from this trail? Major carnage and tow-strapping? Or will i be ok? It will be my first time in a real rock trail.

Tom,

You should be just fine. I'd expect the trail to be much much different from 1977, but it should be marked well enough for you. And there will have been a lot of rigs across it the day or two before.

I think Old Sluiceis better than the slabs, but the slabs will probably be faster.

Were things different I'd probably have a blast running to the springs with you, then out Cadillac and home as a day run.

Phil

the main thing thats goin to hurt is the stock gears, i know cause im running them still and i just wheeled there for Memorial. i would recommend a good tranny/tcase skid. dont want to shove your tranny into your floor board! ask how i know! just take your time and enjoy yourself, bring spare parts cause shit does happen.

Tom, there's a group of us starting the trail about noon on that Thursday. If you can join us then, we'll get you to Rubicon Springs.

Those were some great videos!!!

I am worried about the Rubicon... leaving on Thursday but with all these storms coming it could make for a very interesting time, esp being it's my first time there...

ya the rocks there can be fun when they get wet, it will be ok though. just take it all in while your there, enjoy yourself.

I figured that most vehicles would be on the trail by the time we are ready to go. There are no planned events other than the dinner/raffle for Friday and he can't get off any earlier than Friday morning at 0830. I'm thinking driving from Santa Rosa puts us at Ice House Road probably 1300.

Dang Tom, you would wait for me to be in Nashville and can't be able to go with you...Hope you have a great time. Is Tank and Chloe going too?

No the dogs are staying home. We have a late start because Patrick is dropping Madi off at her mothers. Tracy & the rest are going to move Sam out of the dorm.

The times I have been on the Rubicon with the "Rubithon" there is always too much Toyota traffic. Going in to the springs at all times. I am sure you will have people to follow and lots of broken rigs on the side to help you find your way.

Just remember it is your responsibility to know where the trail is, and also your responsibility to keep your vehicle with in 25 feet of the center line of the trail at all times. The first part of the trail, going in from Loon lake, has yellow reflectors on the granite to help you see where the "Center" line of the trail is. The reflectors are every few hundred feet all the way to the other side of the granite bowl. Also there is a dotted oil line that helps you find your way.

Back