• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

engine swap manual to auto:BIG TROUBLE need help please

cjben

NAXJA Forum User
everything was going smooth until I looked at the hole for the pilot bearing to go into. The jeep is a 92 and the engine that was in the jeep is a 92 4.0 with a manual tranny. the engine I thought i could swap in is 96 4.0 that came out of a auto tranny eqipped cherokee,and i was planning on using the manual tranny that was with the 92 engine. the pilot bearing fit in just fine,so i was thinking this should be smooth sailing from here out. well,then I got to looking at the end of the crankshafts for both engines. the 92 has a 1/4 deep bigger hole and then the pilot bearing hole while the 96 has a 7/8 inch deep bigger hole and then the pilot bearing hole. there is no way that is going work is there? I would think the input shaft of the tranny wouldn't reach the pilot bearing. there is a big difference in the mileage of these 2 engines,and to swap crankshafts,i would have to have the 92 shaft machined and then get new bearings. that is more time and money than i am willing to spend right now. Is the difference in the crakshafts a big problem or am i just over reacting,and this isn't a problem at all?

On edit: the bigger/deeper hole I am talking about is the "hub" the flywheel bolts up to. the one for 92 is 1/4 deep and the one for the 96 engine is 7/8 deep. the 92 flywheel fits on the 96 just fine.

Last edited:
on further inspection,it looks like the 92 has a bigger bushing in the bigger hole that pilot bearing fits in,bringing it closer to the end of the crankshaft. is this possible and where would I find such an animal?

I looked up the part numbers and the 92 has a different number from the 96. The p/n for the 96 is the same for 93-96 so I'm not sure what to tell you.

At least this will serve as a "bump".

If your switching to an auto, you do not use the pilot bushing. Pop it out of there and bolt up the trans, the front of the torque converter has a button on it that centers itself in the same hole that the pilot bushing is in.

He is trying to swap an Engine from and Auto(96), and mate his Manual (92) to that.

ryan has it right. 96 was an auto tranny 4.0 and i am putting it in my 92 4.0 with a 5 speed manual tranny.

well,I have no choice but to give it a shot and see if it will fit or not,couldn't find any related info searching on here. thanks everyone for trying:)

If the only problem is how deep the bearing goes into the end of the crankshaft, then you can use a bushing to take up the extra space in the crankshaft. A machine shop should be able to make one fairly cheap.

92-93 PN pilot bearing 5300 9181
96 PN pilot bearing 5300 9181

*92* PN 5300 9180 sleeve and bearing assembly, transmission pilot 92. You may need the sleeve and bearing assembly for your 96 to make the pilot bearing to fit. The blow up in the parts book is kind of generic and doesn't show much detail.

The book shows a crank change in mid 91. And also shows a bunch of different part numbers for the stick tranny for different build years, this may have something to do with the input shaft diameter and/or length at the pilot bushing end, but I don't know for sure.

Last edited:
They work in www.chryslerpartsdirect.com I'm guessing they are Jeep numbers, but there seems to be one of those grey areas where the data bases don't match up exactly. I was switching between 91-93 Jeep parts catalog Mopar and a 94-96 Jeep parts catalog unknown data base uncopyrighted. And the chryslerpartsdirect data and getting slightly different results for the same numbers.
The 91-93 catalog had an edit and added entry for the 92 year.
I'm guessing the numbers are dealer, but with the database conflicts I've encountered, I sure can't attest to the application.
The 92 sleeve and bearing assembly (which was the added/edited entry) transmission pilot 92. Sounded like it could be helpful. Maybe worth a drive down to the dealer for a look see. It's likely less than $15 even if it's the wrong part.

Back