• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trail Schedule

planefixer

NAXJA Forum User
:chef: Here's a rough trail schedule:

Monday:Arrival day for many - open to suggestions ????
Trail Leader:???

Tuesday:Ophir Pass - long trip but not necessarily all day
Trail Leader: ????

Wednseday: Engineer Pass/Cinnamon Pass (the Alpine Loop) - All day trip
Trail Leader: OLD MAN (Tom Houston)

Thursday: Black Bear Pass/ Imogene Pass - All day trip
Trail leader:OLD MAN

Friday:Yankee Boy Basin then dinner/raffle back at camp
Trail Leader: BillR
Saturday: Departure day for many- open to suggestions

I'm open to any and all ideas and suggestions for other trails from those that are more familiar with the area - please voice your ideas.

Other trails to consider:

Claer Lake- short trip I'll lead this one
Owl Creek Pass - Long trip
Poughkeepsie Gulch/ California Gulch/ Corkscrew Gulch- long trip
Stony Pass
Maggie Gulch/Minnie Gulch - short trips

For the "hard-core" people we can set up day runs to the Montrose trails and minimum vehicle requirements will be in effect (We'll discuss these requirements in camp).Only the "Big Dogs" with a lot of experience need apply.
Another Hard-Core alternative is Farmington ,NM - its about a 70- 80 mile drive from Silverton.

I'm also planning on doing some fishing so anyone one else interested feel free to join me -just make sure you have a valid Colorado fishing liscense.

I scheduled Black Bear/ Imogene Pass for thursday to allow late-arrivals time to get there - This is the "Premiere" run for the week.

Now for the safety aspect of the trip:
A lot of these high passes, though not difficult obstacle-wise, are potentially dangerous due to the steep descents and narrow roads - If you have a fear of heights you will not have much fun.

Make sure your brakes, including parking brakes, are in tip-top shape and you need to have a good grasp of low-range engine braking.

Thanks to all and lets hear your ideas/suggestions
Jeff

Last edited:
Jeff-
The schedule looks great. I would add a run on Saturday for those that are staying until Sunday. Maybe Poughkeepsie?
Also, unless there's alot of side "detours", Ophir doesn't take long at all to do. You can be over that pass in well under 3 hours even taking your time.
Just something to think about...
See you next month!:thumbup:

The majority of the trails in Silverton are pretty easy with the exception of Black Bear and a few others. I do have to say that Ophir is very nice and scenic but I've seen a Cutlass go over it.... I'll be there Thursday evening and leaving Sunday so a Saturday run would be awesome, I'll talk with the local Jeep club and get some recommendations. Bill, don't worry I still got a steak for ya!:chef:

Poughkeepsie Gulch/ California Gulch/ Corkscrew Gulch is a really nice trip, BTW.

Another trip to think about is the "Rock Gardens" outside of Aztec NM which is closer than Farmington. I haven't run it but I have heard its kinda difficult.

I've run it a couple times and it definitely has its hairy obstacles but good bypasses. I've also done RJs trail in F-town, it's pretty fun as well but it's a 2 hour drive from Silverton.

Looks really good Jeff, nice work!

I'd like to remind people that this trail schedule isn't set in stone at all. These are listed as a guideline to get things started - if we stick to the schedule, great. If not, then the decision of the group(s) are what will be.

Those of us running the event will be paying particular attention to your rigs guys, so don't skimp on the maintenance. Get your brakes in order - I can't stress the importance of a working E-brake and that goes double for rigs with a stick shift. The trails for this event have many steep declines, wicked switchbacks, and narrow shelf roads. We don't want a tragedy, so please get yer junk working! :thumbup:

I'm with you BillR. If Poughkipsie isn't run before Saturday, I'm all about it. The Poughkipsie, California Pass, Animas Forks loop is a nice little run with the ghost town and all. I wonder if that smashed white Mazda truck is still sitting at that intersection.... might have to flatten it a bit more. :D

We'll also need volunteers to be trail leaders.

I left Saturday open to run whatever trail(s) we (those that aren't leaving that day) want.:D

Great selection.

The smashed white truck is at hurricane pass and it was still there last year. The shorter trip is poughkeepsie gulch-hurricane pass-corkscrew or poughkeepsie gulch-california pass-animas forks for the long haul.
tipshades.gif

YELLAHEEP said:
I wonder if that smashed white Mazda truck is still sitting at that intersection.... might have to flatten it a bit more. :D

Still there...I was there last friday. :thumbup:

looks like the only day i'm going to be able to wheel with you guys is Tuesday :(

Wed-Fri I need to be in Grand Junction for the UFWDA conference.....so I need to run the Alpine Loop on Monday, because I'm not gonna miss that one.

I do plan on making it back to camp Friday evening for the dinner/raffle, though ;)

I can lead Ophir, or the Alpine Loop, or both. I seem to recall stopping and fishing on the west side of Ophir Pass. It was a long day, and we started in Ouray. Didn't even go into To Hell U Ride.

Fred

Snagged this from CO4x4

*Poughkeepsie Gulch is closed due to a Hummer group going off trail recently and damaging the area. The FS has the name of the Hummer club, who will eventually get the bill. Sounds like the Western Slope 4-wheelers are taking care of the damage, so hats off to them!!! Sounds like it's closed for the season from what the FS said though.

So on Monday.....

would it be safe to assume there will be at least one person running the Alpine Loop?

I am trying like hell to get down there however I would have to leave after the Tuesday run. the pain to get down there and back in such a short time frame would be made worth it only if the Alpine Loop could be done Monday.

Hey Scott,

I might make that trail with you. I'll have two 13 year old boys with me, might make more sense to run it with fewer people. It can get pretty long if there are too many photographers along.

Fred.

Back