• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Proper AC Oil Dispersement

Heavyopp

NAXJA Forum User
I'm really confused with this AC oil thing -- Getting mixed information -- someone is wrong

2000 XJ -- New Compressor, Condenser, Accumulator, wet line with orifice tube

Everyone agrees that a 2000 XJ uses 6.1 ounces of Oil -- this compressor wants PAG 46 -- OEM was pag 100 -- Means I'll do an evaporator flush -- that was changed 2 seasons ago

6.1 ounces of oil total in the entire system -- on the label of compressor and also confirmed with Snap on's pro demand/Mitchell

Disperse oil as follows as per pro demand

Accumulator -- 3.0 ounces
Condenser --.75 ounce
Evaporator --1.5 Ounces
Compressor -- drain and measure old oil in old compressor and replace with same amount

So 5.25 ounces in all the other components leaves .85 ounce for the compressor according to snap on

GDP compressor comes with it's own Info -- says compressor should have 60% of the oil in the entire system -- this is 4 ounces if the total is 6 -- if there is not 60% of the oil in the compressor something is wrong

This doesn't work out -- if all the other components get a certain amount that doesn't leave enough for the compressor according to the manufacturer

What the hell am I missing? HELP -- I'm trying to do this right, just too much conflicting info

My thinking now is to add 4 ounces to the compressor and 2.1 ounces to the accumulator and let it run -- stands to reason that the oil will find where it wants to be anyway -- am I wrong here?

As always, Thanks for any help

So you're correct that the oil circulates with the refrigerant while the ac is on and is distributed through the system. Once you shutdown the ac, the oil collects in each component listed above. In your case, since you've not changed the Evap, it would still hold about 1.5 oz of oil. So you would drain and measure the compressor oil.

6.1 - 1.5 = 4.6 oz. Since the evap already has 1.5 oz, you would only add 4.6.

If you flush the evap (as you state above), then it has no oil, so you would use the full 6.1 oz. So in a round about way, your math works. Four in the compressor and 2.1 in the accumulator sounds OK. The oil will work it's way around.

**This only works if empty**
To Fill mine- I attached vacuum pump to low side.
Removed the hi side schrader valve and used a small tube to suck the oil out of the bottle into the compressor.
If your system is already charged it comes in cans with r134a

My sytem is empty, replacing everything but evaporator and rubber line set — figured old oem rubber is still better than mexican made cheap rubber lineset

I will flush evap so it will be empty too — just changed it 2 years ago no need to do it again

I was fine with the oil distribution thing until reading the tech bulletin from GPD that came with the new compressor — very clearly states 60% of oil should remain in compressor — that screws up all the other numbers

I'm not sure why you're so hung up on this. Your system is devoid of oil so no "math" is required. Drain the oil from the new compressor and measure it. Add/remove oil to total 6.1 oz. Pour it all back into the compressor. Bob's your uncle!

All in the compressor, that makes life easy

I knew I was putting 6.1 in, just wasn’t sure if I could put it all in one place or if I needed to distribute it some

I agree with saudade. When I do component replacement on big trucks/equipment I inject 1 ounce for each component replaced. Compressors I drain both then refill new with similar amount out of old. If you have a little extra oil it's no big deal as long as it's not a lot.

The compressor is pretty high in relation to the rest of the system. So slugging from excess oil should be at a minimum . Since you flushed the reusable components, just blow in the right amount of oil with the proper refrigerant charge and quit sweating it. It sounds to me like you've got it under control. The 60% number is that they don't want the compressor to start dry . Just make sure there is an ounce or 2 of oil in it when you install it.

Last edited:
Back