• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Removing the rust ridge on the inside of rear brake drum

oldbill

NAXJA Forum User
Seeing as very few if any shops turn brake drums any more and the ones that do want an arm and a leg, I was wondering if any of you have removed the ridge at home yourself. If you did do it yourself how did you do it? What tools and or supplies did you use. What precautions did you take from removing metal past the ridge?

Thank you,
Bill

Well, if the ridge is just rust, you could sand them down. When I check my brakes, I always run some 150 grit around the ring, unless I see some other issues on the braking surface.

But I hear ya. Local shops want $15-$20 to cut a drum. I can get a new one from Rock Auto for $30. I guess maintaining the equipment is getting more expensive since "modern" cars have rear disks.

On my 2wd XJ, the front brake rotor has the integrated hub so the price picture changes somewhat. Last time I did mine I bought new drums, rotors and associated hardware. That way I didn't have to wait to get them cut.

The answer is simple: KJ disc swap

If you're dead set on keeping the drums, bevel it like unclewolverine said. Carefully.

Not sure what is happening up North but any local O'Reilly's Autoparts location in Texas will turn drums for $10.

the rust eats bits, so increased consumables cost. Plus longer set up times.

The answer is simple: KJ disc swap

If you're dead set on keeping the drums, bevel it like unclewolverine said. Carefully.

CAREFULLY Yes! not only protect your eyes, ears and lungs, but also your Jeep and shop. grinders throw red hot grit and metal. This will pit windshields, pin head blobs of metal melted into the glass, same for the paint work Do it away from cars, walls, objects you like. Do it outside, it is very messy, throws grit far and wide.

Back