• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Requirements

Rev Den

NAXJA Forum User
These are the vehicle requirements:

All vehicles must have the following equipment to attend the off road portion of NAXJA MWC sponsored events:

• Legally required automobile insurance and registration;
• Visibly charged Fire extinguisher;
• First Aid Kit;
• Tow strap (no metal hooks allowed);
• Safety belts anchored to factory mounts or vehicle frame;
• Spare tire, jack, and lug wrench;
• Adequate tow points both front and rear, properly attached. NO welded hooks allowed.
• CB Radio

Also.....your battery MUST be securely mounted, YES we will check.

If you have ANY questions about if you will pass tech PM me NOW, so there is time to correct any issues.

We really need to enforce these requirements, if you don't pass tech, you will not be allowed to run with our group, no refunds.

Rev

Last edited by a moderator:
I made this a sticky. Now is the time to ask questions. Not the day of the event. No excuses.

mac 'safe' gyvr

Also.....your battery MUST be securely mounted, YES we will check.

I know I screwed that one up at Redbird, I apologize for that. Just wanted to add that the battery tie-down is also a Badlands rule, and I see they added tow points and seatbelts to their requirements as well. Rules are here: http://www.badlandsoffroad.com/?do=page&id=4&as=ajax

Also for anyone who hasn't been there before, Badlands does require an orange flag. You can purchase them there, but you will have to find an appropriate way to mount it. It doesn't have to be their flag, a cheap bicycle flag will work fine.

They are very explicit about the flag rule. I have never been tech inspected by them for the other items, but that isn't to say they couldn't... it would make for a bad weekend to fail NAXJA tech inspection and then also get kicked out by the park.

In response to a couple of spare tire questions:

For the Badlands, you are not required to have a spare tire ON your rig. You must have a plan to get off the trail if you have a flat.

This exception applies only to this event, at this location, this time.

Rev

As you all should know, I am in the process of making new bumpers... My question is as follows:

I am using a 2in reciever tube in both the front and rear bumper and I am also incorporating JCR's Weldable shackle tabs in the front bumper, the receivers pass through the bumper material and are welded on both sides and also have supports welded on the back side, the shackle tabs will also be passed through a hole cut in the bumper and welded front and back sides as well as to the bumper mounts.

Will this pass tech? If not, then I don't know why I'm making these...

I don't have a cb radio and know nothing about them. Can anyone give me a 101 on them. Don't want to spend much on it since i wont use it very often. And would like something that isn't permently mounted in the cab, like maybe a hand held walkie or something. Help. Thanks.

I don't have a cb radio and know nothing about them. Can anyone give me a 101 on them. Don't want to spend much on it since i wont use it very often. And would like something that isn't permently mounted in the cab, like maybe a hand held walkie or something. Help. Thanks.

lil wil mag mount ant. and any cheapo radio would be the cheap way. i have the mag mount and throw the radio in my back seat with no mounts. although i will say you get what you pay for and those 30 dollar radios suck, i have a nice radio just no mount.

A handheld CB will suffice. I'd recommend you get a DC adapter so you don't have to worry about batteries.

A handheld CB will suffice. I'd recommend you get a DC adapter so you don't have to worry about batteries.
This is what I would have said. I actually have a permanent mounted CB in my trail rig and one of these in my DD that will more than likely go into the *hopefully* tow rig.

....or hardwiring the last minute when waiting in line to leave for the trail...:D :D :D (thanks Nate)

BOB

With used stuff, you're looking at about 60 bucks or so.

I just installed a cb in my rig Monday. All brand new cobra cb antenna and antenna mount and cable for $92 with tax at the local truck stop

I just installed a cb in my rig Monday. All brand new cobra cb antenna and antenna mount and cable for $92 with tax at the local truck stop
Get your antenna tuned with an SWR meter before you key up that transmitter.

• Legally required automobile insurance and registration;

??????

Sounds weird I know. It's a Badlands rule as well as ours, but it doesn't seem to be very well enforced. Initially I wondered, why does it matter if you trailer your junk there and only use it on private property? Well...

Should you be involved in an accident with another vehicle, ATV, dirtbike, whatever, your waiver you sign when you enter the park only really protects the park. The NAXJA waiver protects NAXJA. It would suck for some moron kid on a dirtbike to pull an Evel Knievel jump right into the side of your Jeep and end up injured (or worse), and then his/her parents sue YOU for no other reason than they are mad their kid is hurt and they feel like they deserve some money.

Insurance still protects you off-road, on private property. Even though my pile isn't registered/plated at the moment, I still keep liability insurance on it. Oddly enough with more coverage than some of my other vehicles, because of how much it scares me that someone might sue me after an accident, whether it was my fault or not.

Last edited:
Well if Naxja is covered when I sign their waver then shouldn't it stop there? I spoke with Allstate last year when this came up and they told me they wouldn't insure my jeep and they couldn't find anyone who would insure it to do what I do with it. I have fire and theft on it. If you told your insurance company what you do with your jeep they would prob drop you or you would pay a crazy amount to carry some unusual insurance.

As for the registration, what's the point in that? Can you even register a vehicle that is not street legal?

I realize the MWC is the chapter the other chapter kinda follow and kinda wish they were as cool as us but it sounds like rules are being made just to make rules. I'm not trying to create any issues but that rule does not make since to me and I hate when people try to make stuff harder than what it needs to be.

Back