• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

iPad for maps and navigation

RockTracXJ

NAXJA Forum User
At the beginning of last year I was able to get my hands on an iPad Air cellular, with the cellular being key because it has the GPS chipset built in (unlike the wifi only models) so it can be used with offline maps for navigating in the backcountry. I got some map apps on it, downloaded some maps and offroad I went. The first wheeling trip I took with the iPad was great, I think this was one of the best/most enjoyable ‘mods’ I had made to my Jeep in a long time. Compared to having to monkey around with paper maps and gazetteers, having everything right at my fingertips all the time and knowing EXACTLY where I was all the time was fantastic. I also got a Bluetooth deck and streamed music from the iPad.

Here’s some of what I used/learned this past year:

Ram-Mount for the actual mounting of the iPad. Ram-mounts are great and this one worked quite well. I experimented with some other options, but this turned out the best. The longer double socket arm works well and allows me to rest it on the dash to keep down on vibrations. Their ipad specific cradle worked great even in portrait.

As for the apps, here’s what I’ve tried and my thoughts on each.
Motion-X GPS – This is my go-to map app. The topo and road maps are free for download through OpenCycle maps and you can record waypoints and tracks. Fairly easy to get the maps downloaded for use (a bit slow though, and fairly easy to use up space if you don’t properly set the zoom level) If you’re connected to data they also have Bing, Apple, and Google maps available. GPX files can be imported fairly easily.

Trimble Outdoors MyTopo Maps – Great Topo maps, they show a lot of trails and give you a better idea of terrain than other maps. It has a cool slider to go between map view and aerial view. Waypoints can be marked, but tracks can’t be recorded. For a $30/year membership, unlimited maps can be downloaded. They’re a bit more work to get on the iPad, but work great once you do. Small gripe – using this app won’t keep the ipad from locking.

Galileo – Basic app is free, pro version is $4 (pro version is needed for much of the good functionality). I don’t have as much time in using this one, but it seems to have some good potential. Free USGS topo maps (‘The National Map’) can be downloaded and used and they look pretty sharp, but don’t show as many trails. Tracks can be recorded. A variety of online maps are available. Getting the free USGS topo maps on the iPad is a bit more work.
More info here: http://www.usgs.gov/core_science_systems/access/summer_2013/article-1.html

PDF Maps – This is another one I haven’t spent as much time using. I originally got this app because you can use it to download and view all of the Forest Service MVUMs for free. It seems to have some good potential, they have a lot of maps (including free) available in their map store. Downloading maps is easy. All of the maps look like paper versions in electronic form. Tracks can be recorded.

On-road apps:
GPS CoPilot – Wanted to use this for on-road driving and navigation. Worked OK. Had some issues with locking up. Wasn’t that impressed.
MotionX GPS Drive – After being unimpressed with GPS CoPilot, I’m looking forward to trying this app in the future for on-road driving and navigation.

Question about motion x

I downloaded it and played around with the topo maps they offer for free. I was unimpressed with the fact that some very main blm roads were missing. Have you paid the in app fee to get other maps and have you tried them? If you have how hard or easy is it to source maps?

Also have you ever tried Gaia? I've heard very good things but it's cost prohibitive at $20

I've used both Gaia and BackCountry Navigator on a 4G Android tablet with the same setup you're running. I prefer Gaia over BCN but mainly due to user friendliness. The maps are almost identical.

Dr. Ryan, if you give me an idea of where these BLM roads are I could look and see if Gaia shows them.

Your pin was dropped just off the screen north of this location I'm showing. The roads are there when you zoom way in but they aren't named like they are on Google maps.

BUT you can download google maps to your device and display them in Gaia.

Screenshot_2015-01-23-11-21-55_zpsc11f9b3e.png

Yes, the topo maps in MotionX aren't that great, but they do seem to show many of the trails I go down here in Colorado. That's part of the reason I have the Trimble app and why more than one app is needed - no one app seems to put it all together. I'll have to check out Gaia.

Is that a cool area out there? I need to get back out to Utah!

Here are a couple of screen shots from the trimble app of that area:

I use Giai and download the maps for use offline. I have an iPad mini with a bad elf gps receiver. I can datalog at 1 and 10 hz.

I use the Garmin app on road. It's $40, but it updates maps for free and looks just like my old nuvi.

I have a lifeproof case and mount with a rollcage mounted ram mount and a suction cup for the truck/car.

I use Giai and download the maps for use offline. I have an iPad mini with a bad elf gps receiver. I can datalog at 1 and 10 hz.

I use the Garmin app on road. It's $40, but it updates maps for free and looks just like my old nuvi.

I have a lifeproof case and mount with a rollcage mounted ram mount and a suction cup for the truck/car.

Is the suction cup strong enough for wannabe jeepspeed or should I come up with a way to bolt it to my trans tunnel?

Just picked up a Nexus 7 to plot. Got a case on the way. Need to figure out a mount.

I wouldn't rely on a suction cup for a windshield with a tablet. I would like to go with a smaller tablet for navigation and have thought about a hard mount RAM mount.

Is the suction cup strong enough for wannabe jeepspeed or should I come up with a way to bolt it to my trans tunnel?

Just picked up a Nexus 7 to plot. Got a case on the way. Need to figure out a mount.

I use the RAM suction cup mount with my 7, its taken some hard hits and not come loose but I would definitely hard mount it if you're using it for racing.

What case are you using for your Nexus?

I use the RAM suction cup mount with my 7, its taken some hard hits and not come loose but I would definitely hard mount it if you're using it for racing.

What case are you using for your Nexus?

Does it work upside down?

:shhh:
Too soon?

Will Gaia let you route point to point via roads and trails or strait line only. I tried it and was less than impressed after using Garmins 24K Topo stuff.

Will Gaia let you route point to point via roads and trails or strait line only. I tried it and was less than impressed after using Garmins 24K Topo stuff.

Gaia doesn't have road data so it would be a manual route created waypoint-to-waypoint.

That said you can select a waypoint and hit Driving Directions. That will set it as a destination and use Apple Maps to take you there using the roads it has.

Remind at the VLLS class and I can show you the app.

Back