• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

We may lose Moab!

Andy Steiner

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]DURBIN TO REINTRODUCE BILL TO PROTECT AMERICA'S RED ROCK WILDERNESS (MOAB)

Wednesday, April 18, 2007

[WASHINGTON, D.C.] - U.S. Senator Dick Durbin (D-IL) said today that he will introduce legislation in the Senate this week to protect America's Red Rock Wilderness, approximately 9.4 million acres of spectacular and rare wilderness in southern Utah. Currently managed by the Bureau of Land Management (BLM), the agency is not prohibited from selling, leasing or building roads in parts of this publicly held land. An identical bill was introduced in the House by U.S. Representative Maurice Hinchey (D-NY) today.
"Sunday is Earth Day and it is a fitting opportunity for all Americans to rededicate themselves to protecting our nation's natural resources," Durbin said. "I encourage the Senate to do its part as well by supporting the America's Red Rock Wilderness Act, critical legislation that will preserve a national treasure for future generations of Americans."
Durbin's bill would designate 9.4 millions acres in Utah as wilderness under the 1964 Wilderness Act. The bill provides wilderness protection for wildlands, which include steep red rock canyons, enormous arches and towering cliffs with spectacular vistas of unmatched sandstone landscapes. Hidden within this expansive setting are world-renowned archeological sites and habitat for rare plant and animal species. These areas are a haven for those seeking solace in nature, including hikers, backpackers and recreationists.
The lands designated as wilderness in Durbin and Hinchey's legislation were primarily identified through a detailed and extensive public inventory of BLM lands conducted by volunteers from the Utah Wilderness Coalition. By designating certain areas as wilderness, the bill protects them from new commercial enterprise/development, oil and gas exploration, motorized/mechanized vehicles, and road building. Non-consumptive uses such as hunting, fishing, camping, backpacking, hiking, and horseback riding are permitted under the legislation. "I believe it is the responsibility of Congress to ensure that these fragile lands of magnificent beauty, which already belong to the public, do not fall victim to oil, gas and mining interests, increased commercial development, and proposals to construct roads, utility lines, and dams. We are the stewards of these creations and our legislation will help achieve this important goal," Durbin concluded.

http://durbin.senate.gov/record.cfm?id=272633

A copy of the letter sent by somebody else, feel free to plagerize

Dear Mr. Durbin,

I read the announcement today regarding your intent to re-introduce a bill protecting America's red rock deserts.

I am an avid camper, sightseer, and lover of the environment. However, I see all the sights and travel to all these spectacular places in my 4-wheel drive vehicle.

I am asking that you do not close the off road vehicle trails in Moab, Utah. I am an avid four-wheeler, and we ARE stewards of the LAND. We care about the environment. We are legitimate responsible recreationalists and should be recognized as such.

I can agree with the halt in the new commercial enterprise/development, oil and gas exploration, and road building, but you make yourself out to be an elitist when you exclude 4-wheel drive recreation from the list of "non-consumptive" recreationalists .

How are motorized/mechanized vehicles "consumptive" in the red rock desert or anywhere else for that matter?

Respectfully,

Contact Senator Durbin:
http://durbin.senate.gov/contact.cfm#contact
[/FONT]

thx for the heads up. I used my Illinois address when contacting him as a fellow Illinoisan. My points are more or less:
1. How in the hell are you going to enjoy 9.4 million acres on foot? I'd like to see durbin on a mountain bike for most of the trails.

2. Talk about causing millions of dollars of lost revenue for local businesses....

etc

Does anyone know what specific areas they are talking about? Or is everyone ass-uming that the bill includes popular off-roading trails?

Email sent, also posted on our local clubs group forum.

Thanks
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by djblade311
1. How in the hell are you going to enjoy 9.4 million acres on foot?

I was thinking exactly that..

The same way they do it here in So.Cal. Back in 1994 there was this little thing called the Desert Protection Act....... it closed 9+ million acres.... dozens of trails, thousands of miles of back country roads/trails and historic areas..... now only a few WELL traveled "corridors and cherry stems" that offer up little wheel'n, more of a way for the elitists to access deep into the desert in their cute utes, so they don't have to hike as far.
Closed to ALL mechanized travel..... but the BLM patrols these "closed" trails on quads.....

BASTARDS !!!!!!!!

Curt

wow, it makes me wonder what they have to gain by closing it off to vehicles? It cant be just to protect it. besides its kinda hard to damage the rock with my truck. Lets hope the Senate has better sense then that, oh crap were screwed....

forcefed said:
wow, it makes me wonder what they have to gain by closing it off to vehicles? It cant be just to protect it. besides its kinda hard to damage the rock with my truck. Lets hope the Senate has better sense then that, oh crap were screwed....

Surely you jest..... they don't really need one other then under the idea of
to protect the wilderness for the future generations..... one legislator introduces something and others whom have never been there buy into the saving of the public lands... in our case saving the land from certain members of society the "abusers" then it get approval and we lose OUR PUBLIC lands...
Tire marks get left.... several routes going the same direction... bumpers & hitches scrape the lips or ledges.... then there are those JackASSES !! that do abuse the enviroment with litter & such fueling the fire.....
BLAH BLAH BLAH !!!!!!!

The BASTARDS !!!

Curt

Well I'll take Rubicon for the summer, Moab for the Spring, and Glamis for the Fall and if Hammers is up for sale too Ill take it for the Winter.

Is Glamis still for sale? I remember there was a posting on the Glamis Beach Store that said it was back in the day. That would be interesting to buy.

juryrigjalopy said:
Well I'll take Rubicon for the summer, Moab for the Spring, and Glamis for the Fall and if Hammers is up for sale too Ill take it for the Winter.

Is Glamis still for sale? I remember there was a posting on the Glamis Beach Store that said it was back in the day. That would be interesting to buy.

the entire piece of property on the opposite side of the road (directly across the road from the store) , from about 100yards before the glamis beach store, to 500 yards past the abandonded gravel pit (around the turnoff to go to the bar), has been purchased and turned into a shipping container/RV/sandrail storage area, and is completely surrounded by electrified fence. ive been camping there since i was a little kid. it sucks big time.

Back