• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Custom Parking brake issues....

Ted Z

NAXJA Forum User
I was going to run a mechanically operated caliper on a rotor on the SYE flange.... But i mounted my x-member today and i don't think there will be enough room for that......

Can i install one on one of my rear wheels?

I am running a Ford 8.8 behind a manual tranny, and i imagine a parking brake as a necessity in Utah...

What diff and brake setup are you using Ted? Anything is possible given enough time, money and effort. I'm guessing your running short on the first two right about now.

In the mean time.......my uncle used to have this draft horse that would run away whenever he dismounted..........his solution was to carry a small anchor on 25 ft of rope. Whenver he dismounted, he dropped the anchor before he hopped out of the saddle...........Flash never made it too far before he snagged something that stopped him in his tracks.............nah, won't work for you, but a good story nonetheless! :D

I tried a small mechanical spot caliper (same Hearst Airheart unit that Wilwood and TSM use) on each rear rotor a number of years ago. Didn't work too well. Mainly because there was not enough clamping surface. I considered remounting them on a flange off the transfer case as then I would also have the added advantage of the gearing, but once I saw the setup that Jesse at High Angle and those at AllPro use, I want that caliper instead! I priced out a driveshaft and caliper mount from Jesse, but it was just too damn expensive. I instead got a driveshaft from Tom Woods (1310 joints instead of the 1350 that High Angle uses) and one of his universal bolt pattern HD SYE flange outputs. I installed the flange in place of the Advance Adapters output yoke. I haven't done anything further with this project, but what I have done is a good start and was somewhat affordable. Jeff

Just to play devil's advocate....

Line locks are a poor choice for a parking brake. If you pop a line, seal, cylinder, etc. downstream from the line lock, not only have you lost your primary brakes, but you've also lost your parking brakes.

Line lock it.

If you pop a seal, blah, blah, hopefully Jeff is in front of you to stop your acceleration :firedevil

OneTonXJ said:
Line lock it.

If you pop a seal, blah, blah, hopefully Jeff is in front of you to stop your acceleration :firedevil

<grin> I don't blindly trust brake lines anymore. </grin> Not after I popped a brakeline on a straight truck loaded down to 32,000 lbs.......... Some freakin' pinhead pulled out right in front of me on a busy highway 10 years ago. NOT fun at all.

It'd be a little more complicated to set up, but an electric line lock on the rear axle has the advantage that it cuts out several feet of brakeline, and doesn't require the brakeline to be routed into the cab. Downside is that it requires power.

Or, go with 2 electric line locks and make cutting brakes.

I have a buddy that used the electric linelocks with his Wilwood disks as cutting brakes and they have failed to release twice already, he is geared so low with the atlas and all that he did not know they failed and burned the anodizing right off the calipers and warped the rotors and then blows the lines from the heat, needlesss to say he drove off the trail brakeless

Back