• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

will all driveshafts work with all rear axles

lapaul

NAXJA Forum User
If I upgrade my stock D35 rear axles in conjunction with a lift, do I need a particular driveshaft to go with a particular axles,

Is there a different driveshaft for a D35, D44, D60 etc, or if I get the right driveshaft for a particular lift, can I upgrade axles later without having to replace or modify the driveshaft

lapaul said:
If I upgrade my stock D35 rear axles in conjunction with a lift, do I need a particular driveshaft to go with a particular axles,

Is there a different driveshaft for a D35, D44, D60 etc, or if I get the right driveshaft for a particular lift, can I upgrade axles later without having to replace or modify the driveshaft

It all depends on the axle you swap in. Most likely you'll need to lengthen or shorten the drive shaft depending on the length of the pinion of the new axle. You may also have to get a special adapter flange, a different pinion yoke, or a custom built shaft depending on the ujoint that the new axle uses. Depending on how much you lift, you will also need a SYE which requires you get a new driveshaft, so you're best off waiting and doing it all at once.

Driveshaft length will be dictated by lift height and axle pinion length. Larger axles tend to have longer pinions, which can offset the effect of lifting (as you lift the driveshaft is streteched, but the longer pinion of an axle upgrade can compress it back to near stock levels. The u-joint size must fit the axle and transfer case yoke.

So the answer is no...there is no one universal driveshaft that fits every lift and every axle. You need to lift first and then deal with your driveshaft. If you plan a new rear axle, do it at the same time if possible to avoid more driveshaft $$$.

Nay

What Nay said.

For example, a friend and I compared the driveshafts out of his father's '95 4.0L XJ, with 231 and AW-4, against the driveshaft from an '87 4.0L XJ with 231 and AW-4. The '87 had a Dana 35 axle and the '95 had an 8.25 axle. The D35 driveshaft was 5/8" longer.

I am not certain if, all other factors remaining constant, the 242 transfer case would use a different length driveshaft. I know the 5-speeds take a different length than the automatics.

Once you swap axles and do a lift at the same time, there is no constant. My friend NEEDED a longer driveshaft, because 5" of lift was too much for the stock driveshaft in the '95. That extra 5/8" of length compensated for the effective change in driveshaft length resulting from the lift.

You really have to install the lift and the axle, and take measurements. The amount of flex is a factor, as well, because with a really flexy suspension the driveshaft length will change dynamically more than it would with a stiff suspension at the same static height.

Back