• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HP44 4 link mounting--Is the RE kit good-just under $400?? Any others???

Big Red

NAXJA Forum User
I need to install my hp44 f-150 rare leaf sprung f-150 axle under my xj and was 1st thinking of running leafs SOA, but came to the conclusion that keeping the 4 link would be a good thing. I'm going to keep it full width with the matching 9" in the back.

I currently have about 8" lift from a 5.5 re x-duty kit with with non adj control arms and drop brackets and 8" skyjacker XJ coils. I see that the RE front bracket kit for a TJ runs just under $400. Is there a cheaper alternative out there where I could buy a kit so that I would have the same axle mounting as the stock xj 30 with all the control arm mounts, coil mounts, and shock mounts? Please advise.
thanks...Troy

When I put the 44 in the front of mine.....I bought the axle used and the guy had a kit with it that he claimed he bought on ebay, but I have yet to find it again.

Knowing what I know now, I would most likely build my own mounts. $400 for those brackets is too expensive. But if you're not into fabbing....there aren't many options out there.

Pics of mine:
IMG_4027.JPG

IMG_4028.JPG

IMG_4026.JPG

XJZ said:
Damn! Now that's a tie-rod!!
shit, thats what i was thinking too.

BTW check out. uhhh, crap i dont remeber the site, but there is a place online that does 44 axlebracket kits for about 200, and they are 3/8" beefy stuff.

if i remeber the site ill post it....

deathwobblezj said:
shit, thats what i was thinking too.

BTW check out. uhhh, crap i dont remeber the site, but there is a place online that does 44 axlebracket kits for about 200, and they are 3/8" beefy stuff.

if i remeber the site ill post it....

Thanks deathwobblezj. I know $375 sounds pretty steep for just some mounts for the front axle. I was going to just keep it simple and do leafs SOA, but would rather spend some more $ and be able to bolt it in using my 8" short arm 4 link. The axle is rare being a f-150 hp44 with leafs (camper edition) to I don't have to worry about those pesky cast wedges. I'm having the work done with a guy who has done lots of gears and lifts on jeeps but he advised me to get a 4 link mounting kit, just trying to see what else is out there besides RE.
Troy

XJZ said:
Damn! Now that's a tie-rod!!

Can you believe that I bent that bastard and had to build myself another one? I thought I would never have problems with it again.....

I would love to see the link for the other set of brackets that are around the $200 range.

Currie sells a rear TJ kit for coils, but RE is the only front bracket kit I know of. It's stout and seems to work well, and can be had for well under $400. Get with an RE dealer so you don't have to pay retail fo it. I think mine was $312 shipped.
BTW, that pic shows the same tie rod I'm using. 1.5" DOM w/PSC inserts and 1-ton Chevy TREs. I built the drag link from the same stuff. Hella strong! :repair:

BillR said:
Currie sells a rear TJ kit for coils, but RE is the only front bracket kit I know of. It's stout and seems to work well, and can be had for well under $400. Get with an RE dealer so you don't have to pay retail fo it. I think mine was $312 shipped.
BTW, that pic shows the same tie rod I'm using. 1.5" DOM w/PSC inserts and 1-ton Chevy TREs. I built the drag link from the same stuff. Hella strong! :repair:

Thanks Bill, I was hoping you'd comment on this. I saw your pics of your hp44 and since I now have a buyer for my hp30/44, I want to go ahead with the axle swap. Are you running the full width 9" in the back of your xj? If so, what gears & lockers are you running? I heard of someone on this site that gets good prices through RE, is that who you went with or someone else? I know that is is probably worth going to a 4 link because how it handles, rides, and it should have a good resale value being that it is a bolt in to a XJ, TJ, ZJ if I decide to ever sell it in the future.
Troy

There's a number of us RE dealers on here I think. I'd probably try to support the NAXJA sponsors first if possible, Richard at Full Size XJ Gear is a good guy to deal with and can probably get you setup with whatever RE parts you need for a good price.

Jeepin Jason said:
There's a number of us RE dealers on here I think. I'd probably try to support the NAXJA sponsors first if possible, Richard at Full Size XJ Gear is a good guy to deal with and can probably get you setup with whatever RE parts you need for a good price.

Thanks I'll check around here 1st and try to get the better price eventhough RE is just down the street from me. :) If I can get it cheaper shipped then I'll do that.
Troy

Big Red said:
Thanks Bill, I was hoping you'd comment on this. I saw your pics of your hp44 and since I now have a buyer for my hp30/44, I want to go ahead with the axle swap. Are you running the full width 9" in the back of your xj? If so, what gears & lockers are you running? I heard of someone on this site that gets good prices through RE, is that who you went with or someone else? I know that is is probably worth going to a 4 link because how it handles, rides, and it should have a good resale value being that it is a bolt in to a XJ, TJ, ZJ if I decide to ever sell it in the future.
Troy
My front HP44 is cut down to Waggy-length (around 61" WMS), and IS a bolt-in for an XJ or TJ as it sits. I'm still running an XJ D44 rear w/Detroit. I got my kit from Jason at GroupBuy , but any RE dealer is gonna be pretty close in price.
Leaving it full-width WOULD be easier, and not bad at all with the proper backspace wheels and a matching rear axle.

Last edited:
BillR said:
My front HP44 is cut down to Waggy-length (around 61" WMS), and IS a bolt-in for an XJ or TJ as it sits. I'm still running an XJ D44 rear w/Detroit. I got my kit from Jason at GroupBuy , but any RE dealer is gonna be pretty close in price.
Leaving it full-width WOULD be easier, and not bad at all with the proper backspace wheels and a matching rear axle.

Thanks Bill. I was debating reusing my current xj dana 44 in the back but I got the matching ford 9"in the back with a detroit already in it so I wanted to get both of them from the seller. Plus then I would have to get it regeared and get some spacers/adapters to convert to the 5 on 5.5 etc etc. That's a good idea to run Waggy length because U can find those axles so easy in the boneyards. I'm looking at alloy shafts and u-joints and running 37"mtrs.
Troy

Back