• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

the sound of inevitability

Weasel

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Started as a rocker replacement. Planned on following Starboard's project.

Jeep started as this, the rockers were peeling out of the body where they were welded and really bent.

IMG_20140502_224733.jpg

Turns out the 2x4 tube that I was told was installed was just angle iron welded to the body. Wonderful, I guess it last for 5 years.

IMGP1112.JPG

So I started cutting, cutting and fitting of the 2x6 tube.

IMGP1115.JPG

moved the door hinge up

IMGP1119.JPG

testing the new rocker in

IMGP1124.JPG

Fit pretty well, bummer that the sheetmetal is bent but I'm not spending time to straighten it.

IMGP1130.JPG

Cut and capped the ends.

Driver side tacked in

IMGP1137.JPG

Passenger side before and after. Driver side took a couple days but the passenger side was done in a Saturday afternoon.

IMGP1141.JPG

IMGP1142.JPG

Than I pulled the side glass out and Monday I took it over to the local shop with the plans of doing some tube work on reinforcing the broken a pillars and running sliders on the roof.

IMGP1182.JPG

After some discussion plans changed.

IMGP1192.JPG

Some quick discussion about back halfing the jeep and than deciding that sheetmetal is just sheetmetal and doesn't have much structure to it and the isn't much point in trying to weld dented sheetmetal to any kind of tube.

IMGP1194.JPG

H-Kg7j5uKB9_6kUkAaLZN2qfOYgJS0qK5FRiitwqMkI=w958-h719-no

IMGP1200.JPG

IMGP1203.JPG

So the entire roof is coming off. The windshield was prefect and I wanted to see if I could get it out without breaking it for a buddy. So that's why the front half is still there. Another buddy pulled it tonight and the rest will be coming off tomorrow.

So we are starting on tube tomorrow. Will be using 2" tube. Roof will be dropped atleast 2" and raked with an aluminum roof skin. It will have a truggy look, not sure exactly what I will be doing with the b pillars, might try a double b skinned to look like the stock pillar.

The rear end is shortened to the gas tank skid and dove-tailed a few inches to the spring hangers.

And I ended up cutting off all of the rear half that I spend last week welding in. :laugh2: Eh that's the way it goes.

full album here:
https://plus.google.com/photos/117016052099699625203/albums/6009425899285387889?authkey=CPfeupvzn4_O7QE

Awesome! Easy part is done now. :laugh:
What is the plan for the rear? I know you mentioned shortening it but with all that work why not move the tank to get it out of the way?

Awesome! Easy part is done now. :laugh:
What is the plan for the rear? I know you mentioned shortening it but with all that work why not move the tank to get it out of the way?

Still have leaf springs and the tank is skidded so I can't cut more just by moving the tank. Fuel cell might be in the future but the amount of body cutting would be the same.

Haven't quite decided how the rear ties up yet but should have a good idea later today.

slow day but got some stuff done:

The back end of the jeep trimmed out:
IMGP1209.JPG

short as I can get it with the shackle boxes.
IMGP1211.JPG

Better pic of the dovetail, just rough cut now:
IMGP1213.JPG

welded in some pieces to tie the two sheetmetal halves together.
IMGP1217.JPG

the new end cap and plug holes drilled. This is what the cage is going to tie to in the back.
IMGP1219.JPG

and plug welded on
IMGP1222.JPG

tacked to the floor:
IMGP1223.JPG

the rest of the roof off
IMGP1225.JPG

Working on the front a pillars and cross brace, triming around sheetmetal sucks balls.

Last edited:
I blame it on the 35's.

Today's work:
IMGP1226.JPG

IMGP1227.JPG

IMGP1228.JPG

I'm undecided on the 2 rear tubes. If they should be both vertical, the front one vertical and the rear one kicked back or both kicked back. Hopefully should be a bit clearer on the direction once the upper half is tacked on. Hard to judge tube placement with nothing but air around the tube.

The drivers tubes are tacked vertical and the passenger tubes has the rear most one slightly kicked back and the other one vertical.

Also still kicking around the idea of a double b pillar by the seat to give the shape of the stock b pillar, skinned with sheet steel.

What is the plan for getting in and out?
That tube up that high and straight will make it a royal pain, IMO.

If he makes a cutout in the skin for a step I'm sure it won't be that bad.

I'd bend up the a pillar and however you're going to do the rear before settling on a b pillar design.

What is the plan for getting in and out?
That tube up that high and straight will make it a royal pain, IMO.

If he makes a cutout in the skin for a step I'm sure it won't be that bad.

I'd bend up the a pillar and however you're going to do the rear before settling on a b pillar design.

Everything is just tacked and hose will be checked before welding.

agree it's going to be a bit harder but it's also going to be the safest. With it up the high people don't stick their arms out when they look out the side. Well they can but it's uncomfortable. Couple of the buggiest there are similar and I like it while crawling.

But yes a step can be made and it is going to be a small opening. Also thought about making the top bar on the passenger side atleast hinged.

Everything is just tacked and hose will be checked before welding.

agree it's going to be a bit harder but it's also going to be the safest. With it up the high people don't stick their arms out when they look out the side. Well they can but it's uncomfortable. Couple of the buggiest there are similar and I like it while crawling.

But yes a step can be made and it is going to be a small opening. Also thought about making the top bar on the passenger side atleast hinged.

I'd feel more comfortable with a slightly larger opening and no hinge.

Looking good so far.

todays progress

driver's side upper still need quite a bit of fitment grinding, but the profile is there:
IMGP1229.JPG

passenger side profile:
IMGP1230.JPG

Front view:
IMGP1232.JPG

side:
IMGP1234.JPG

I realize the door bar is more of a personal thing, but I like the height. Several of the buggies at the shop have a similar height door bar proportional I and like it.

Probably going to skip the hinged door bar. The issue with the tube doors on the previous body was the lack of a place to grab and step. There will be no lack on this model.

Also going to skip the double B pillars, it just is too much tube in the area and I didn't realize this but most of the B pillars are looks only, no real support below them. With the upper we tried difference C pillar placements and found a new location that should look pretty good.

Well that escalated quickly...

Story of my life any time I try to do a 'small' build.

I like where this is going. Of course every time I see something like this it makes me wanna start over. Then come the "I would do this differently the second time around" thoughts.

C pillars are in.. Or B and a 1/2 pillars. And some tape for a visual of the remainder tubes.

R0000002.JPG

And taking my time getting things how I like them for what the Jeep is. The second time around will be one of the tube cars sitting in the background. ;)

well progress has been slowed. I took a mini vacation, than get sick on Monday and managed a few hours after work. But the areas that are being worked are slow and tedious is notching, fitting, grinding, repeat.

Cross brace behind the seats:
R0000017.JPG

Upper roof/dash bar rolled tube with a bend on each end:
R0000016.JPG

another angle:
R0000018.JPG

dash bar is next, and it's going to suck balls. We got it rolled but looks like it will need to small bends on each end and some body notching and it's going to take awhile to fit. That is tomorrow night's project.

Back