• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Higher end shock options????

5spd_xj

<<the good ol days
NAXJA Member
So, I’ve decided that I want to get some nice shocks in the front. I’m currently considering the Fox Emulsions with the .625” shaft, the Fox Emulsions with the .875 shaft, or the Bilstein 7100s… I want a nice, good performing, rebuildable shock. I don’t do any fast stuff, just drive to the trail and wheel, so I doubt I’d want the remote reservoirs because they would just be another thing in the way, and not doing me a whole lot of good. So who’s got experience with any of these, and what do you think? Where can you get good pricing on each??

My Jeep’s got D44’s, 4.5” with Clayton, and 36” SXs. I do a lot of rocks etc, so I’m looking for the best combination of low speed stability in off-camber situations, and on-road drivability. Any suggestions for valving?

Basically, I’m looking for a high quality shock for crawling. Discuss! :)

I run Bilstein 5150s at 255/70 and while not rebuildable they do provide a great balance of smooth ride and stability in side hills and off-camber situations.

Tough to really isolate that just to the shocks as I run TNT radius arms and RE coils, so the springs/arm geometry will also play with that as well.

If I could buy again, I would get 7100s with the same valving. Possibly 14" short bodies.

Tough to really isolate that just to the shocks as I run TNT radius arms and RE coils, so the springs/arm geometry will also play with that as well.

If I could buy again, I would get 7100s with the same valving. Possibly 14" short bodies.

true. As I said previously, I run the clayton arms, and the springs are Rock Krawler. What is a "short body" shock? I believe I've got the right idea, but just realized I never actually got a full, literal definition :dunce:

true. As I said previously, I run the clayton arms, and the springs are Rock Krawler. What is a "short body" shock? I believe I've got the right idea, but just realized I never actually got a full, literal definition :dunce:

I don't have a full definition for you, but you probably know what I'm talking about. Basically the shock body itself is shortened (i don't know how) so that the overall lengths of the shock (compressed/extended) are shortened.

This allows a longer travel shock to be used in a situation where the mounts won't allow normal long travel shock, i.e. the rear of an XJ with raised lower mounts or the front when used with a stud-eye conversion.

right. thats what I figured, but I wasn't sure how they go about accomplishing it, unless a standard body shock just has extra unnecessary length to it.

right. thats what I figured, but I wasn't sure how they go about accomplishing it, unless a standard body shock just has extra unnecessary length to it.
The short body shocks are the ones with the remote reservoir. That's where the fluid goes to instead of the added capacity on the longer body shocks. I am running the 7100's in 14" remote res. Love them.

ah ha!! I'm enlightened!! haha, thank you good sir :) How is your rig set up??

Basically the way the short bodies work is a 12" short body is a 12" shaft on a 10" body. a 14" short body is 14" shaft with a 12" body. get it?

talk to Lee at www.raceshock.com

He is a wealth of knowledge.

Bilstein 7100's are 31.34" extended and 19.61" compressed.

The SHORT BODY version is 28.06" extended and 16.03 compressed.

The shock body is shorter on Short Body shocks but still has the complete travel of 8,10,11,12 or what ever length travel you need. But the bodys are not shorter than the length of the shaft.
Heres a link to Bilstein 7100 application guide.
http://www.bilsteinus.com/offroad_7100.php

7100 shrader valve shocks (no res) are about $185 each

Fox 2.0 Emulsions are $140 each

Just depends on what you want.

Last edited:
FORGET the 5150, it is not rebuildable.
image002sr3.jpg

ah ha!! I'm enlightened!! haha, thank you good sir :) How is your rig set up??
6" lift with 7100's in the front and 5150's in the rear. 30 front 8.8 rear with 4.88's and lockers. 35" Extreme MT's.

decisions, decisions!!

So, as far as the Fox's go, would y'all suggest the .625 or the .875" shaft, and for what reason(s)? I'm still up in the air as to whether or not I want to go with the Fox or Bilstein(and I'm open to other suggestions) but I'd like to try and see the advantages/disadvantages of the larger/smaller shaft... Is the .875" simply beefier and just costs some more? Or does it perform differently as well?

ouuu :D got a link?

Back