• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SEC Contributes to First Uwharrie Workday of 2013

UNCC_99XJ

Twisted Up
NAXJA Member
Thanks to the hard work by many people, the SEC was able to contribute to the first workday of 2013 at Uwharrie, both in terms of man hours as well as financial donations.

Josh (Joshooha), Josh (JRT1393), Eli, Glenn, Nick, and Myself, on conjunction with numerous other 4x4 groups in the area, all participated in the workday which began at 9am at a very icy Uwharrie National Forest. The goal of the day was to install as much guard rail as we could that had been delivered yesterday. In order to accomplish this, the main tools that were necessary outside of man hours were a bobcat with hydraulic auger attachment. Thanks to the help of NAXJA National matching our funds, we were able to contribute a total of $500 for this event to cover the complete cost of the Bobcat rental.

Despite the Icy weather that made for tricky roads, and even trickier trails, we managed to get all of the guardrail (400 feet worth!) hauled up to the trail and installed. Big thanks to everyone for all the hard work in the cold, icy, muddy mess we had today. Hats off to the guy from NC4X4 (Snappy I think he was referred to as?) for cooking a mean brunswick stew for everybody to enjoy at lunch. A nice hot bowl of stew sure did hit the spot after sliding around on the trails all morning.

Just a couple of pictures for now, the rest can be found at the link on the bottom. I encourage everybody to check the Land Use forum as all of the Uwahrrie happenings (workdays, rides, events...etc) are updated.

Morning meeting with Terry from the Forestry Service to get the breakdown for the days events:

IMG_2147_zpsa2fcf7c8.jpg

Loading guard rail to take up the trail:

IMG_2150_zps214cb8e3.jpg

Nick was on Bobcat duty for the majority of the day:

IMG_2155_zps34fde1b3.jpg

Bobcat stuck on the first hill. Pretty much set the stage for the rest of the day...:

IMG_2154_zpsa309d0ad.jpg

Yours truly helping to get the guard rail in place:

IMG_2160_zpscf1f33fe.jpg

Great job today guys. Can't wait to do it again!

Link to the pictures I have of today: http://s840.beta.photobucket.com/user/uncc_99xj/library/Uwharrie Workday Jan 2013

Great job guys! Sounds like you guys got a lot done even with the conditions as bad as they were.

Eli, how did Nick do running the Bobcat? I know you are usually the man that runs it.

Good job guys!! Looks like it was tad on the chilly side.

That would be 4 pieces of rail on the roof!

IMG_2156_zpsdcd72de7.jpg

Tim covered pretty much everything. I had a great time and I am very proud of the SECs contribution. It was a great opportunity for me to hop into the Bobcat. I hope everyone knows how important the labor and donation is. The work we did was mandatory to keep one of the most popular trails open. People who choose to ignore rules and ride off the trail have put our favorite spots in major jeopardy.

I'm happy to be loosely associated with this group of guys. I'm happy to lend my help/labor anytime of the week for these people. Hopefully we can all get together again this winter and do it all over again! Thanks again everyone.

I hope everyone knows how important the labor and donation is. The work we did was mandatory to keep one of the most popular trails open. People who choose to ignore rules and ride off the trail have put our favorite spots in major jeopardy.

This needs to be expanded on. The most popular obsticle and trail in URE is in danger bc people are not staying on the trail Terry stated Saturday morning that her Regional offices wanted Kodak CLOSED.... She fights to keep the trails open and we have a good relationship with her. You and I talked about this... if we have to put up guardrail too keep people on the trail then so be it. I just want it to stay open.

Terry Savery seems to be fighting for us, and certainly on our side.

There will always be people wanting trails closed. Its why many people are focusing thier support on the private wheeling locations rather than the government ones. After watching what happened to Tellico its hard to support, but if we don't support it, we will lose it.

As much as I hate to see guardrail on the trails, without it, we will lose them, I suggested throwing down boards with nails on the illegal bypasses, make it easy to spot the bums running them. But was quickly told that was not allowed lol

I hope to see Uwharrie improve as has been discussed, there is also the Scott Fields expansion being... discussed, but I don't think that would come to be.

Great job guys! Sounds like you guys got a lot done even with the conditions as bad as they were.

Eli, how did Nick do running the Bobcat? I know you are usually the man that runs it.

Sorry for my delayed reply, life has been a little crazy the past couple days.

Nick did a great job on the Bobcat, he is a very quick learner. My original intent was for someone to get some drive time in operating the Bobcat between guard rail installation sites. But after I smashed my shin right below the knee cap on the Auger for the Bobcat trying to get up in it, that took me out for most of the day. I was told I could have fractured it, but I keep believing/praying for the best. It currently doesn't hurt to walk on it, but it still is sore when I bend my leg certain ways.

Nick ended up picking up my job operating the Bobcat and then some for a good bit of the workday. I did enjoy putting in the 2nd site of rail though after taking some pain/inflammation reducers and letting my leg rest a bit. It has been a goal to get other people on the Bobcat so in case someone gets hurt (like this workday) or isn't able to show up we still have people that can run it. Glenn and Nick now have gotten some time in on it, so we are making progress on that goal.

Overall even with the setbacks it was a very productive workday, glad everyone could make it out.

When is the next one? Perfect chance to get out and do some good, get some PT in, and meet the folks of SEC!:patriot:

Feb. 23rd. There is a thread in this forum.

The workday has been postponed until next weekend (March 2nd) due to weather.

Back