• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

starting my Tough Truck build up

BPB

NAXJA Forum User
I ran tough trucks last year and kicked ass untill my xj wouldn't finish the last race. I now have my $300 xj for this year. i learned a few things. The week links in an xj are:

1) control arms
2) crossmember
3) dana 30
4) oil pan being penetrated by drag link

I am doing this as cheap as possible because the truck will be destroyed by the time it gets jumped around the track four times.

has anyone done anything to beef up factory control arms? anypics or Ideas would be great. same with the crossmember. I plan on welding a piece of 1/4" flat stock on the bottom of my oil pan. I also plan on dropping the $45 on a dana 30 truss.

Any other Ideas on things that i need to reinforce for jumping?

box in the control arms should stiffen them up considerably, but i'd look out for a used set.

what is tough trucks?

Haha, good to know they have the tough truck competition all the way on the other side of the country! BTW... XJ's took the W two of the last three years :)

tough trucks is a race around an obstacle course the fastest time wins. There are woops a mud pit and some jumps. any redneck can enter.
would have had the win last year but I couldn't finish the last round ( lost all four control arms, 3 piston rings and a head gasket. smoke the arena so bad that they had to stop the show for 5-10 min to let it clear. they had to give people oxygen:) .
suby's have taken it the last few here :(

any pics of boxed in control arms?

Why destroy an XJ like that?

JNickel101 said:
Why destroy an XJ like that?
because it sounds fun.

Just weld a plate on the bottom from one end to the other enclosing it fully, while still allowing clearance for the bolts and mounts etc...

Or you could use square tube that would fit in the stock control arm. Where are you finding this 45 dollar d30 truss? I want one ha ha

I cut my crossmember flush and then welded a piece of 1/4" steel across it (making holes for the tranny mount) It beefed it up considerably. Got some pics somewhere if I can find them.

Couldn't find my pics but here are goatmans, essentially the same thing.

Might want to try adding some bumpstops or a BB to keep the draglink outta the oil pan.

standardks8.jpg

standardem6.jpg

huh well thatl teach me to stop looking at vendor websites ha h thanks

it is a brace - a truss expands over the pumpkin and it bolted or welded to both axle tubes in order to sufficiently strengthen the entire axle - though that brace can not hurt it is not nearly as complete as the tnt truss or even the RE bridge...

Back