• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alternator Relocation

scottsxj

NAXJA Forum User
i searched but came up with few results and no answers as to whether or not anyone has ever relocated their alternator. I was thinkin of ditching the A/C since i dont really care about it, and moutning it there and then just measuring and getting a shorter belt. A custom bracket would be in line as well. The reason i ask this is because i just killed mine, and i def dont want to have to buy another one. Thanks

scott

scottsxj said:
i searched but came up with few results and no answers as to whether or not anyone has ever relocated their alternator. I was thinkin of ditching the A/C since i dont really care about it, and moutning it there and then just measuring and getting a shorter belt. A custom bracket would be in line as well. The reason i ask this is because i just killed mine, and i def dont want to have to buy another one. Thanks

scott

I believe the newer XJ and/or WJ's has the altenator up by the battery and the a/c compressor below the power steering pump. Something like that. So maybe get the bracket for that and see if it will bolt up? Just a thought.

I have relocated the alternator on my Comanche to the location of the A/c
I took the alternator bracket of a 1990 2.5 engine and that bracket fits right on the 4.L Without any modifacation, now you will need to use the 4cy alternator (or the front alternator housing) due to clock position of the mounting ear.
Now I used the 4cy water pump pulley also and I don’t run the mechanical fan or its bracket. I run duel electric factory fans. Use the 4cy belt and I did have to trim about a 1/4 inch from the aluminum idle pulley mounting boss. All in all it’s very simple and I have run that setup for a year now with no issues.
That is a simple way to relocate with factory parts. And its looks factory because it could have been if Jeep had decided so,

If you need pics let me know, and if you have questions send em

Tom

PstrKd4BrthCntrll said:
I believe the newer XJ and/or WJ's has the altenator up by the battery and the a/c compressor below the power steering pump. Something like that. So maybe get the bracket for that and see if it will bolt up? Just a thought.
No they don't. Alternator is still in the same place. Major flaw on jeeps part. Ive killed two alternators going through water because of it.

Back