• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Water Pump Replacement

JBXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Pulled the XJ out of the garage today and found a puddle of antifreeze. Located the leak where the water pump and lower radiator hose meet.

The hose was intact so I surmised it was the pump. Replace both since the XJ has 107K+ on it and I'm thus far happy with the results.

The only problem is now when the AC is on MAX and accelerating from a stop the serpentine belt scream to all high heavens.

I hosed the engine down before taking it out to get off an access antifreeze, but I think that should have burnt off by now.

My question is, should I wait and see if this persists or work the tensioner a little bit more. My only concern is overtightening it.

Any takers on this?

There several methods on how to adjust a serpentine belt..... Generally I adjust the belt to get about 1/4" deflection in the belt with moderate pressure on the belt (after the belt has gone thru pulleys a couple full cycles) or there is the twist the belt back to front method where if you can twist the belt more than 90* it is too loose. You can use a deflection type meter which measures the amount of force to push the belt downward a 1/2" (assuming you have access to this device).
Make sure the ribs on the belt and grooves on the pulleys are clean of liquid and debris; then adjust in small increments and recheck.
IF the belt is too tight you will decrease the life of the waterpump seal/bearing, idler pulley bearing or possibly the a/c compressor.
New serpentine belts will stretch a little after being adjusted and run for a while. So recheck the adjustment in a few days if you hear the belt squealing.

Charles

Back