• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Camping on Silver Dollar Road (Moose action!)

flingshot

NAXJA Forum User
Took the family camping this weekend.
Again no hard core wheeling but a good time was had by all. I was originally heading up to China Wall but was reminded about the fire ban (that I was aware of previously and forgot about) when we got to Jefferson.

Damn! We were planning on using the dutch ovens to cook in and would need coals to do so. So turn around we did and we headed to Guanella Pass.
I had heard that the neighboring counties did not have such a high level ban.

We reached the pass summit at around 6pm so it was time to find a spot.

We started seeing campfires as we left Park County so it was game on.

We ended up on Silver Dollar Road on the Georgetown side of Guanella Pass.
Excellent are for remote camping!

The little MJ needs new springs with the Wildernest and gear, food and wood for 5.

Barely room for the wood.
1000000085.JPG

Found this great site.

1000000091.JPG

This guy watched me make breakfast.

1000000095.JPG

The only way to cook in camp!

1000000099.JPG

A little mountain man breakfast.

1000000100.JPG

Kids annoying each other as always.

1000000101.JPG

Dogs begging for food as always.

1000000106.JPG

A little drop buscuit action to go with Sunday's bacon and eggs.

1000000124.JPG

I look out in the woods to see where my wife went to pee and see these guys right where she just walked away from!! Sorry for the crappy photo. All I had nearby was the phone.

1000000125.JPG

He came a little closer and just about as I was ready to soil my drawers, he turned and walked away. Absolutely the most exciting wildlife sighting I have had. 43 years here in Colorado and have never seen a moose, and to have one that close was awesome!

1000000128.JPG

Anyway after all the excitement, the biscuits were done.

1000000129.JPG

The moose was just 20 yards from here when I first saw him!!

1000000130.JPG

MJ did great, Wildernest cleaned up nicely!

1000000132.JPG

Cleaned up our stuff and a little more and high tailed it home to clean up and get ready for Dinosaur National Monument in a couple of weeks.
Thanks for listening.

Last edited:
Looks awesome, and a lil scary!

What kind of tarp are you using? I have found thats the one thing we are definitely missing from our camping setup.

Thanks for the report Scott!

Looks awesome, and a lil scary!

What kind of tarp are you using? I have found thats the one thing we are definitely missing from our camping setup.

The adrenaline was flowing for sure but in a good way.
The tarp is just an 10x10 with an eyelet in each corner and one in the middle.
It has 5 poles, the middle one a bit longer than the others.
We have had it for over 20 years so I don't know where it came from but it could be easily made.

Last edited:
Looks like you had fun. I need to get back into camping, I used to go all the time but then the Army kind of ruined the whole sleeping in a tent thing for me. Now that the kid is getting older its time to get back into it though.

Back