• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Advice needed

Rocketman

NAXJA Forum User
Without everyone getting into what I SHOULD DO...

I was thinking of going to 33's. I currently have stock D30/8.25 with 3.55 gearing. I do Midwest running. IF I were to upgrade to 297 U-joint axles in the 30 for the extra strength, can I get by on 33's without upgrading gearing to 4.56 or 4.88. It is also my DD and gets quite a bit of tollway use. Should I be OK for once a month at best wheeling or am I risking tearing up the diffs?

Rocketman said:
Without everyone getting into what I SHOULD DO...

I was thinking of going to 33's. I currently have stock D30/8.25 with 3.55 gearing. I do Midwest running. IF I were to upgrade to 297 U-joint axles in the 30 for the extra strength, can I get by on 33's without upgrading gearing to 4.56 or 4.88. It is also my DD and gets quite a bit of tollway use. Should I be OK for once a month at best wheeling or am I risking tearing up the diffs?

You are going to risk tearing up the transmission.

I'm at 3.55s and 31s now and WILL NOT go bigger tires until I can regear at the same time.

OK then, let me jack my own thread. Will 4.88 kill power/mileage on the tollway and should I stick with going to 4.56?? I have to keep it a DD at this point.

Rocketman said:
OK then, let me jack my own thread. Will 4.88 kill power/mileage on the tollway and should I stick with going to 4.56?? I have to keep it a DD at this point.

4.56 is all you can get with the 8.25. You can however go to 4.88 with the D44.

HTH

Rocketman said:
8.25 goes to 4.88 doesn't it??

NO 4.56 is the limit

Back