• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine rebuild

davinci

NAXJA Forum User
I live in Indiana and am in need of a place to have the engine rebuilt in my 96 XJ, it is completely stock except for the off-road lights that I installed and the radio (could not stand not having a CD player). I have called around and I have gotten a price of about $3500, is the norm or should I keep looking. The place that I trust the most is a pretty reputable shop that does work on their own race engines and also on regular Joe's engines as well. Can anyone recommend a good place in Indiana? Any and all help is appreciated.

Well, I can't comment on shops in Indiana, but I do have one thing to add. Go stroker or go home! For the price quoted you can have a very nice stroker built up.

kunaji said:
Well, I can't comment on shops in Indiana, but I do have one thing to add. Go stroker or go home! For the price quoted you can have a very nice stroker built up.

He could buy a complete stroker for that outlandish price!

for that price it sounds to me like a shop is gonna pull the motor for him...send it out to be rebuilt and then install it for him...

However, if you're gonna pull the motor...Bring it over to where I work in Muncie...McGunegill Engine Performance...You can bring it to us complete and we'll give it back to you fully rebuilt...I do the block work and another Jeeper does all the head work...Give'em a call and get a quote if ya want - 765-282-1913 Tell'em Jonny B sent ya...

I am Indy. They said that if I drop off the Jeep then I can come back and pick it up in a about a week to 10 days and it is ready to go. They also said that they do all the work in house.

Who is "they"?

davinci said:
I live in Indiana and am in need of a place to have the engine rebuilt in my 96 XJ, it is completely stock except for the off-road lights that I installed and the radio (could not stand not having a CD player). I have called around and I have gotten a price of about $3500, is the norm or should I keep looking. The place that I trust the most is a pretty reputable shop that does work on their own race engines and also on regular Joe's engines as well. Can anyone recommend a good place in Indiana? Any and all help is appreciated.

I wouldn't rule out a salvage yard engine with low miles......You can pick them up all day long for $500-$600.........

"They" are Schmidt Automotive. I had called a few other places and got about the same price. Schmidt was the only place that 1) gave a decent warranty (3 year/36000 miles if I remeber right) and 2) they were the only one that sounded like they had any idea of what they were talking about.

Simms said:
Who is "they"?

That warranty makes the deal IMO...Sometimes you call a place and get the "parts guy" and he don't always wanna commit to knowin what he's talkin about...Thats the case where I work at times...esp. w/ 4.0's and AMCs, or maybe I just notice those more cause I get asked about'em after the phone call... ;)

Take it over to Chip Ganassi and let those boys work on it.

Dirk Pitt said:
Take it over to Chip Ganassi and let those boys work on it.

I've heard they make one hell of a stroker.

I was gona have my motor rebuilt in mine but found a junkyard motor with only a 100,000 miles on it for $300 and dropped that in and have not had a single problem with it yet.

But if i was gona spend that kinda money to have a shop rebuild it, i would go with a stroker.

Just my .02

The only problem that I have found with them is that they say that there is no stroker kit for the 4.0. Obviously we all know that is a load of garbage. How do I approach that or should I go with someone else? I am sure that they do good work but really want the stroker.

Well...they're prolly lookin in a book for a "stroker kit" Like Fords 347 or Chebby 383 ect...I would talk to them about still doing the stroker and you'll supply the Crank and Rods...they all they would have to buy is an engine kit for a 4.0 to get the rest of the required parts...

I think that this may be my best bet. So now where should I look for the crank and rods. I don't need the best of the best of the best (usually means boo coo bucks). I would like to have something decent both in price and quality. Also any ideas on horsepower and torque numbers?

Simms said:
Well...they're prolly lookin in a book for a "stroker kit" Like Fords 347 or Chebby 383 ect...I would talk to them about still doing the stroker and you'll supply the Crank and Rods...they all they would have to buy is an engine kit for a 4.0 to get the rest of the required parts...

Ebay, or... AMCCars.net someone over there should have a line on 258 parts...And you'd be suprised whats still in some junkyards...There is a light and a heavy crank, and the only difference is the number of counter weights as far as I can tell w/o having them both in front of me...You could go either way in the debate as far as I'm concerned...Light spins up faster and heavy has a flywheel effect...

"heavy has a flywheel effect" Sorry for sounding like a noob, but what do you mean by this? I am not as tech savvy as I would like, I would consider myself more of a drive-way mechanic.

I have found a shop here locally that will pull the motor send it to there shop do a stroker kit and re-install it for $3000, that is less than the first shop told me for just a straight rebuild. YEAH!!!!!!:yelclap: Looks like I found my shop. On top of everything else they did a lot of leg work that I did not have to do so that helps. All I have to do now is scrape the $$$ together and get it done.

Back