NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old December 3rd, 2004, 14:31
NAXJA Member #1033

Engine Rebuild

Ok, so I really need some help, some of you saw my previous post, dist. broke while driving....long story short, push camshaft out of alignment, luckily no engine damage, but have to take the entire block out. My mechanic is a good friend of mine, so labor is not an issue, I am planing a full rebuild......what do you gusy recommend to make sure to look out for.......i already have the following on my list:

Fan Clutch (since the engine is out)
oil and water pump
Possibly new camshaft
Port and Polish the head
new valves, springs
bore out the throttle body
Replace all engine seals (including main seal)
Go through tranny and transfer case.....

what else???
Old December 3rd, 2004, 14:38
NAXJA Member

Re: Engine Rebuild

OK, I've been building engines for 40 years. How did the distributor push the cam shaft out of alignment. Did the cam gear get eaten up? The can can only go sideways a little bit before hitting the timing chain cover or the back of the block. Did it take out the timing chain and cover?

Not trying to be an ass about this, but sounds like someone is giving you a line?
Old December 3rd, 2004, 14:40
NAXJA Member #1033

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_man
OK, I've been building engines for 40 years. How did the distributor push the cam shaft out of alignment. Did the cam gear get eaten up? The can can only go sideways a little bit before hitting the timing chain cover or the back of the block. Did it take out the timing chain and cover?

Not trying to be an ass about this, but sounds like someone is giving you a line?

Ihave not, but , when the dist was replaced......it was put in 180 degrees off, and we continued to try to start it thinkning we were dead on....not 100% sure that the cam is pushed off......might not be, either way, I had planned on doing the rebuild in January, it has jsut been moved up a week. We did a compression test and most cylinders were between 105-115..time for some work i think!!
Old December 3rd, 2004, 19:24
NAXJA Member #1033

up to the top
Old December 3rd, 2004, 20:55
NAXJA Member

That isn't terribly horrible compression but I wouldn't hurt to do the overhaul. The classic problem with putting in a distributor is getting it in 180 out. After trying to start it too many times, you get the spark plugs totally drenched in gas and they simply wont fire. So even if you rotate the distributor to the correct position, it still won't fire until the plugs are either replace or pulled and rinsed and dried. Good luck on your rebuild.