• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Any Ideas?

HellsRevenge

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 4.0, 93 XJ, was driving home for Moab and it started to sputter coming down a hill and died at the bottom, the oder of fuel was present in the cab. After a tow and sitting in a parking lot for maybe half an hour trying to decied on the problem, it fired right back up. After traveling again on the freeway we exited, slowing down, and it died again. Same thing, after it sat for some time it started right back up and I was able to drive home on the freeway. After getting off it putter after stop lights and down slow residential streets.

The smell of fuel throws me a little, but I guess if it's sensor issue, it's possible for it to run way rich for awhile.
Acting up hot, usually is a sensor issue. Most common is the CPS, but the MAP and others can have issues and both can make the motor run way rich, cause the motor to chug and die.
It may have been unrelated to the sensors though. If the gas tank vapor vent purge sucks fuel into the charcoal canister, it can flood the motor. I've done this on occasion, bouncing a near full tank of gas around driving off road. The check valve may be a little slow or sticky.
Just a couple of wild arsed guesses.

It didn't throw any codes but thanks for your advice. I'll look into those areas and try and get it sorted out. If your curious I'll let you know what I find.

Air filter clean? Last time you did a tune up? Some things to think about.. I would also check my fuel lines... Does your OIL smell like GAS?

Back