• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front fender replacement

Two Jeeps

NAXJA Forum User
My '91 was wrecked before I bought it. After spending the past year taking care of all the stuff needed to get it running right, I'm finally going after its looks.

Tomorrow, I'm heading over to a local salvage yard with several Cherokees and I'm hoping one of them has a front left fender and some grill parts. Are there any surprises I need to know about before trying to remove a fender and front header grill?

there's a trox screw on the bottom of the fender, closest to the door, this sometimes turns out to be biotch to get out. On one fender I had to pry fender out far enough to get a thin hacksaw in the and cut it off, the other luckily broke off from strong-arming it. Good luck with yours.

You may want to check Quadratech.com or JCWhitney.com also, to see about the cost of their OEM replacement panels.

I have no idea what the going rate is in a boneyard, but that is certainly an option for you to pursue.

installing is tricky too...loosely bolt it back in place, then use something to wedge into the gaps to make sure its aligned (straight gaps), then tighten it down....unless you dont care about how the gaps look

I just did this with a 92 Cherokee. Don't forget your torx bit set, most if not all of the fender attachments are done with a torx screw. If I remember right, there are 2 at the bottom of the fender under the front edge of the door, 3 along the front edge of the fender inside the header......maybe one more there as well, 2 or 3 that you have to reach with the drivers door open. and the rest along the top that you see when you raise the hood.

I got my replacement (new-aftermarket) for $74 plus tax from a parts yard, the header was like $60 and the grill was $40.

Unfortunately most wrecks that put vehicles in the wrecker yards, involve the front end, so I was unable to locate a clean front left fender I could pull off. Good Luck!

Replacement fenders for the 84-96 are cheap enough new that I wouldn't bother taking them off a wreck. Unfortunately, the same sources haven't gotten up to speed on replacement parts for the 97-01 Cherokee.

jc whitney....either fender.......$49.95 plus S&H....and if I remember it was not as expensive as other places. Headlight trim...$10.95/13.95 depending on paint or chrome

Do yourself a favor and grind the tip of your torx bit down some, it'll just twist and strip out the torx shape on the bolt head otherwise. Also , if anyone knows the name of the person who invented the torx bolt and if he/she is still alive could you let me know, i'd like to kick the shit out of them. It's got to be a women getting revenge on male Jeep owners.

Back