• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Control arms... how cheap is TOO cheap?

Lucas

NAXJA Forum User
I swapped in some new springs and got a little more lift than I expected. Now my Pro-comp LCAs are pulling the axle towards the back of the fenderwells. I figure a lot of LCA shimming may help with this, but what about the UCAs?
Im too broke right now to consider buying adjustables or even fixed UCAs, so I was thinking...
What if you filled up the stock UCA holes with weld, then redrilled new holes at an appropriate distance, effectively making a longer UCA? Would it be safe If I were to weld on some big washers for reinforcement?
TIA

Strictly my personal opinion, but I would not play around with welding and drilling the control arm mounts. If I were going to Mickey Mouse anything, I'd get a set of used or budget replacement control arms, cut them, fit a piece of tubing inside for reinfrcement, and weld them to the tube to lengthen the arms. This keeps the basic chassis stock and safe.

Personal bias. I just don't like making changes that can't be reversed. If you screw up the arms you can always put stockers back in, but if you screw up the mounts ...

Sorry, I meant weld up the bolt holes on the axle end of the actual UCA, not the frame bracket.

Lucas said:
Sorry, I meant weld up the bolt holes on the axle end of the actual UCA, not the frame bracket.

My bad -- I just didn't read it that way. Sure, that should work. I would use the washers for reinforcement, though.

yea - that'd work, but why not add on a cage and eccentric so you could play "castor adjustment" up there..?
like -- kinda...

LCAmounts1.jpg

Back