• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What are you doing to your rig - the continuing saga

Been working a jobsite in Blackhawk: 19 miles up, 19 miles down.

After diagnosing some electrical gremlins, and replacing a few more parts, I have headlights (and high beams), all the way up, and all the way down.

Life is good!

Trying to get mine to pass emissions. PITA.....! Runs and purrrrrs like a kitten but it still draws a vacuum leak and won't pass.
Was saving the hardest part for last. Going to drop the skid receiver hitch and tank and replace the Fuel pump gasket. I've read a few post saying that gasket can dry up and crack then creating a vacuum leak.

Been working a jobsite in Blackhawk: 19 miles up, 19 miles down.

After diagnosing some electrical gremlins, and replacing a few more parts, I have headlights (and high beams), all the way up, and all the way down.

Life is good!

SUNYBEACH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Started off this morning, no low beams. Futz around with the dimmer switch and they come on. I replaced that switch in December...

I started late today on reworking my strut front lower mounts. I had a mistake to fix and decided that since I had so much room between the strut and tire at full flex when I did the first mounts that I'd bring them both out about 2 more inches . This also allows me to raise the mount a bit to easily remove the king pin cap but the extra distance out adds enough extension so I don't lose any shaft stick out. This is one of those areas you can weld it on but a simple angle grinder won't easily remove it, so rather than just be able to cut the old off and burn on new I had to rework and add to the old by coping a heavy tab and beveling it and welding it to the end of the old mount. Then on the outside of those run a long tab fully welded to the new tab and down the side of the old...the end result is a mount that's 5/8th thick and then a brace in between. This would be much faster with a plasma cutter and just starting from new but I don't have an air source outside for this ,but after a few of these type of things I do believe I'm going to invest in a set up I can run off my trailer. The final angle was about 15° of inward lean . This should make it more stable . I am probably going to push the rear lower out more as well since there is a tom of room as well at full flex between strut body and tires . This means no 19 wide boggers without new lower mounts.

Stripping the 9”... almost got it to bare metal.

Now I’m needing Ubolts- anyone know a place in NoCo that I can source the right ones?

I rattle canned the front axle with farm and implement paint... not a fan in covering my garage in the paint dust again... thinking about getting a gallon of it and brushing it on. That’s how Por-15 is usually done right? Seems like it will be a challenge to brush it on... but god sick of rattle cans

Double post

frame stiffeners mostly welded in. what a pain in the :moon:

ended up scraping off weld on primer on the weld areas, doesn't like starting a good arc but it will burn away if you pull the puddle to it. I was surprised at how hot they could be burned on, they act as a wicked heat soak.

gotta burn on the xmember and then the links can finally go in. lol Ive got a list of more sh%% to do and a pile of parts, this damn thing doesn't ever stop.

So wait.. you liked the weld on primer or no? Lol

Never even thought of using something like that..

And definitely am not looking forward to sound stiffeners this year at all.. both axles is nightmare enough for one season

Well, I ended up using this Upol stuff mainly as a corrosion barrier. I sprayed both inner stiffener and frame rail, then scratched it off the rail once I got tired of trying to get the arc on it. That said It does its job well once you start burning into it, there's no characteristics like when your weld hits other contaminants. I only used it because I didn't like the idea of the stiffener being bare steel under there. Condensation could still cause rust.

With that said Its Upol copper rich primer and I will be using it on the front truss. Just not where Ill directly weld.

I just primed and painted the inside of the truss then cleaned the welding surfaces and burned it in

The primed and painted that.. used the red straw thingy to spray more inside the truss after... seems like less hassle?

Well, swapped the detroit out for a grizzy.

Repaired my winch electrical (interior lug isolators decided to take a vacation).

Going to pull the buggy out today and give it and the truck a quick pressure wash then get it loaded on the trailer for a quick trip up the canyon tomorrow.

Then head out next weekend.

Quite a few I know headed to Gypsum and the Black Hills...a bit jealous.

If you make it here my grocery getter WJ might get to the trailhead where your buggy will start. Got the lunchbox in and havent had a chance to test it out really.

all new brakes and all disc for the first time! need to install e brake cables tomorrow and find out how they should be adjusted with the big meats. I saw one thing on drums that spun a tire and you adjusted drag until it would only freely spin once.

shackles and relocators still starring at me to go in, but I got new ruff stuff ubolts in finally.

Got parts for the rear.. still looking for a shop to press on seals bearing and retainer under the price of a damn HF press...

Likely will be buying a press for twice a decade use... unless I find someone in NoCo with one. One shop quoted me 200$ with the old stuff removed from the shafts already by me... wtf? Takes 10 mins of shop labor. Seriously, everyone is out to get as much as they can instead of honest work for honest pay. 90$ an hr shop rate... how does $50 not cut the cake for 10 whole mins?

Got parts for the rear.. still looking for a shop to press on seals bearing and retainer under the price of a damn HF press...

Likely will be buying a press for twice a decade use... unless I find someone in NoCo with one. One shop quoted me 200$ with the old stuff removed from the shafts already by me... wtf? Takes 10 mins of shop labor. Seriously, everyone is out to get as much as they can instead of honest work for honest pay. 90$ an hr shop rate... how does $50 not cut the cake for 10 whole mins?
If you can stuff those parts in your DD and drive to Golden, I can help you out.

NAXJA:cheers::NAXJA:

Are there any rivers up there?? Lol I’d be down to make a day of it... have a buddy who is partial owner of Bonfire burritos up there I think it’s called

Back