• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brand recommendations?

navyblue123

NAXJA Forum User
Getting some work done on my xj here in a couple of weeks, and looking for some recommendations on parts for: ball joints, steering gear box (psc is pricey, but curious if it’s worth the price), steering brace, steering spacer, and U joints (is spicer a good one to go with?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-Spicer u joints and ball joints are good
-Moog for steering with the exception of the R series stuff
-Gear box Lares or redhead both in the states. Look at a durango box if you want more than a stock box need to use a WJ pump though.
-Steering brace boostwerks/ironman if you want to do it right. Wouldn't waste money or the MORE brace
-Steering spacer IRO has a decent one for a good price.

Last edited:
Ball joints- not moog. I used moog on my original axle, but they are splined and slightly oversized, when my last ball joint when in crooked it ruined the axle, had to get a whole new axle freshen it up. When I redid the new axle, I used spicer. The old spicers lasted 30 years and 170k miles, some I’m trying them. So far so good. We used to use moog ball joints at work, but we have had so many come back after 20-30k miles with wasted ball joints, that you can only replace with oversized ball joints. Spicers are my vote.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Use the boostwerks steering brace for sure. It’s a great set up, super stout, well made, and to top it off, the guy is a Colorado local.

-Spicer u joints and ball joints are good
-Moog for steering with the exception of the R series stuff
-Gear box Lares or redhead both in the states. Look at a durango box if you want more than a stock box need to use a WJ pump though.
-Steering brace boostwerks/ironman if you want to do it right. Wouldn't waste money or the MORE brace
-Steering spacer IRO has a decent one for a good price.
This

Add a cooler to your steering system if you do any serious wheeling. Mine gets really hot and can't be good for it. They're cheap, as opposed to steering gears.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Back