• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project first timer

Green2door

NAXJA Forum User
Well this is my attempt at posting my build. As the title suggests this is my first xj build and it is by far one of my favorite projects. Being I'm doing this on my phone I'm sure the pictures will be slightly out of order so please bare with me.

Well starting out I have a 98 2door 5 speed that came with a Clayton 4.5 or 5.5in???? Long arm, custom bumpers, frame stiffness and a ford 8.8...... not a bad start. It also had 4.10s with auto lockers.

Well I initially was happy with the setup but while deployed someone stole my jeep, joy rided it then tried running from the cops and wrecked it. Unfortunately in the state of CO any vehicle that is stolen and involved in a traffic accident is considered a total loss 😣. Nonetheless, i bought it back and the work begin.

That brings me to today... I don't have "build" pics but i do have before and after. Currently I have trimmed the fenders, added artec truss (front and rear)/ gussets, 4.88s, 35in bfg KM2s, new steelies, ball joints and OX front and rear cable actuated lockers (wanted to avoid air or electrical failures while wheeling).

Next weekend I plan on revamping my cooling system, replacing head gasket, valve cover gasket and spark plugs. I currently have a like new oem radiator (would like all aluminium but got this radiator for next to nothing), flowcooler water pump, and hesco high flow thermostat housing sitting in my garage waiting to go in.

Future plans consist of:

Bump stopping (very very near future)
New lighting
Gas tank skid
Hanson bumper with tire carrier???
Roof rack
Storage system in the back
And I'm sure alot more stuff will become part of the plan haha.

If you have any advice, comments, questions and/or concerns please let me know. As I said this is my first xj build.
52bfa43b7c71205581bf6908bfe8316b.jpg
710323e5c36773279ccbc6f91c5f3a5c.jpg
6e3854a7ba1f0219ec969b454e552b4d.jpg
32a9a011debcfde1514554508f14d521.jpg
7520e02312c5cc19af512f08ced0b43c.jpg
3c93f81f070061ef249b78b4cd5323a0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Looks like a pretty solid setup as it is. If we ever get some trail runs going you'll have to show up!
I'd love too!!!! I was lurking last year and seeing y'alls runs made me excited. I hope some happen this year, if not im deffinetly taking mine out lol

What length cables did you use?

Looks like a solid build! Shame it was stolen and wrecked, but at least you got it back and all fixed up.

Well I put in the flowkooler water pump and hesco high flow thermostat housing. Today was just in the 80s and I was driving down 25 during rush hour (stop and go traffic mixed with steady flow traffic) and the temp gauge ran just over 210 with the a.c. on (I wanted to put extra load on the engine to ensure it wouldn't over heat). It's still getting hotter and still some what nervous if it's already over 210; despite it not getting hotter than pictured and the aux working. Paranoid I guess. Some people say they never run over 210 so idk the truth behind that.

I also did the valve cover gasket. The newer gasket was cork and a bit wider than the old one but seems to be doing the job. During the job I broke a vacuum line and boy did it run like crap after I started it. After I did a once over and noticed the tps wasn't secure and the vacuum hose snapped. So I Jerry rigged the vacuum line for the time being. I also somehow managed to break a valve cover bolt off into the head 😠. Newbie mistake but oh well, must have been tired from working and in to much of a hurry. Valve cover isn't leaking though.

Lastly, I developed a oil leak 😩(no not the valve cover lol). I've never had an oil leak problem with my xj so I guess it's about time. I was so close to having it well off lol. I think it's the oil filter adapter and/or the oil pan.
6633f6beb860dd5615f63d2706b67802.jpg
682bcdfeb5d33f3c4a6628dd49d2d7f1.jpg
000cf38af41c0fb7c5ad1a6c7de94de3.jpg
789aae1b5357d007c89275c551d2a9b4.jpg
2c56172b190a1ad296065ed7c97553fa.jpg
ed48bc4ed31919e8d5aa8f87ed13f3ea.jpg

Well I put in the flowkooler water pump and hesco high flow thermostat housing. Today was just in the 80s and I was driving down 25 during rush hour (stop and go traffic mixed with steady flow traffic) and the temp gauge ran just over 210 with the a.c. on (I wanted to put extra load on the engine to ensure it wouldn't over heat). It's still getting hotter and still some what nervous if it's already over 210; despite it not getting hotter than pictured and the aux working. Paranoid I guess. Some people say they never run over 210 so idk the truth behind that.

I also did the valve cover gasket. The newer gasket was cork and a bit wider than the old one but seems to be doing the job. During the job I broke a vacuum line and boy did it run like crap after I started it. After I did a once over and noticed the tps wasn't secure and the vacuum hose snapped. So I Jerry rigged the vacuum line for the time being. I also somehow managed to break a valve cover bolt off into the head 😠. Newbie mistake but oh well, must have been tired from working and in to much of a hurry. Valve cover isn't leaking though.

Lastly, I developed a oil leak 😩(no not the valve cover lol). I've never had an oil leak problem with my xj so I guess it's about time. I was so close to having it well off lol. I think it's the oil filter adapter and/or the oil pan.
6633f6beb860dd5615f63d2706b67802.jpg
682bcdfeb5d33f3c4a6628dd49d2d7f1.jpg
000cf38af41c0fb7c5ad1a6c7de94de3.jpg
789aae1b5357d007c89275c551d2a9b4.jpg
2c56172b190a1ad296065ed7c97553fa.jpg
ed48bc4ed31919e8d5aa8f87ed13f3ea.jpg

**Still getting hotter outside

Be sure to burp the cooling system a few times. 210 isn't bad. Look online for the O-rings for the oil filter adapter. The last time I was at the dealer, they didn't carry them anymore.

Be sure to burp the cooling system a few times. 210 isn't bad. Look online for the O-rings for the oil filter adapter. The last time I was at the dealer, they didn't carry them anymore.
Ya I burped it. I ran it for probably 20 mins or so with a non spill funnel. I have a radiator waiting to go in aswell but I'm trying to get a gauge as to where is running currently because I dont think I need it? But won't hurt to get a comparison.

Good to know about the o-ring thanks. I read it's s pretty common problem.

Yeah, if sitting in traffic, on such a warm day the temp sits just above 210 and stays there...... you're doing just fine. Jeep manuals show that operating temp for the 4.0 is 213-215 degrees. Hood vents, or hinge to hood spacers do help.

I haven't had any problem getting the O-ring kits from Advance Auto Parts and have seen them in various brands on Ebay.

Temp looks good. As long as it can sustain it and not struggle to hold that temp you’re fine. Remember that the gauge isn’t great tech. Put a gun on it to see what true temps are and go off that.

Back