• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

oops! i forgot a CTS were does it go ?

DenalosXJ

NAXJA Forum User
i have done a swap of puting a 95 block and head into a 87 with all the sensors and wiring but it seams to be running hotter than the other motor . i did some searching here and now i know why .i lost the CTS for the computer (jeep was down in the garage for a year and some stuff was lost in that time ) i have the one in the head its new and working good .....my question is were does the comp CTS go ? does anyone have a picture of that CTS installed ? i know it screws in to the block but were ? my 95 block didnt have anything there .confusion is raining here in seattle =)

i have the 95 thermostat housing with the 95 sensor can i cut the plug off the old 95 harness and splice it to the renix harness ? will that sensor work with a renix comp ?

the renix temp sensors are on the back of the head near the firewall and in the radiator

and no, you can't use the one from the HO spliced into your harness

The sensor at the back of the cylinder head on a RENIX is for the guage reading only.

The fan sensor is in the lower radiator hose (or it was on mine). I did away with this when I did the electric fan bypass switch (dual fans).

ok so the sensor in the back of the head is for the gage only ....and there is supose to be a sensor in the radiator for the electric fan (only thing is my cherokee 1987 pioneer never has had a electric fan i am adding it now ).
i am going to just wire up a switch for the fan .my 87 is a no AC no power anything rig .

my question remains as to were and if the renix computer needs a sensor to "see" temp ? i do need to pass a smog test were i live .

thanks for the help guys
jason

I believe it's screwed into the block, and yes it's a different sensor. if you don't have a hole in the new engine block then I would put the engines temp sensor in the thermo houseing. You can't use the Ho sensor, but you can probably use it's hole.

The computer doesn't look at the temp switch for the electric fan, so you dont need one for smog.

maybe i am misunderstanding your question...

Last edited:
ok i am going to see about puting the sensor in to the Tsat housing since its on the motor now all i got to do is remove the old 95 sensor .
that will be much easier thanks for the info guys !

NCSUcherokee said:
The computer doesn't look at the temp switch for the electric fan, so you dont need one for smog.

on closed system radiators, there should be a threaded bung on the cold side tank, that is where the radiator fan temp switch goes (not on the block).
That's correct, The one to be concerned about for emmisions is the one in the block, that tells the ECU when the motor is warmed, and then the ECU will come out of Open loop mode.
The one in the radiator is the one for the fan,
the one in the head is for the guage.

87manche said:
That's correct, The one to be concerned about for emmisions is the one in the block, that tells the ECU when the motor is warmed, and then the ECU will come out of Open loop mode.
The one in the radiator is the one for the fan,
the one in the head is for the guage.

Right, now i get the quesion...

The sensor you are looking for is on the drivers side of the block above the engine mount on Renix blocks. You can check to see if the mount is still there on the 95 since the blocks didnt change much.

On my '95, the temp sensor at the back of the head is for the dash panel gauges only, and my '95 XJ just has a Engine Temp Warning Light. So, if the temp sensor in the back of the head is still the '95 sensor, than it could be just a hi-temp switch, either on or off, which would screw up a temp gauge or a computer, IF the renix system uses that sensor for engine temp.

On my '95, the other temp sensor is at or near the thermostat housing, where the upper radiator hose connects. This sensor is for the computer to measure engine temp in a '95, don't know on the Renix system, seems like there is varying opinions above.

My '95 has a 2.5L I4, but I'm almost positive that the positions are the same for the I6 motor.

i replaced the rear gage sensor with a new renix one the old cracked 95 sensor went into the trash .
my thing is with a year since i pulled and got rid of the old block and now im finally getin her back on the road some stuff got lost . new baby will suck the time outa you before you know it =)

i knew i was missing something (everytime i do something like this i forget something ) this site has been a God send thanks a ton !

jason

Back