• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to tear apart rear end... and get it back together.

Gridikal

NAXJA Forum User
Well I've never done somthing like this before, and after many many times in the water I think I need to change the diff fluid as well as check gear teeth etc. etc. How bouta rundown on how to do this. Or a link would be just as great.. Thanks

dothedew24_7 said:
Well I've never done somthing like this before, and after many many times in the water I think I need to change the diff fluid as well as check gear teeth etc. etc. How bouta rundown on how to do this. Or a link would be just as great.. Thanks

Place large drain pan under diff
Remove diff cover bolts
Remove diff cover
Splash gear oil all over everywhere....ummm....smells goooood.
Scrape off ALL old gasket material, cover and diff
Rinse diff with brake cleaner (the good stuff, not that "safe" crap)
Run bead of "Ultra-Black" on cover, follow directions on can
Reinstall cover, tighten it to "snug"
Add oil - VERY IMPORTANT!!

Rev

Rev Den said:
Place large drain pan under diff
Remove diff cover bolts
Remove diff cover
drink beer
Splash gear oil all over everywhere....ummm....smells goooood.
Scrape off ALL old gasket material, cover and diff
drink beer
Rinse diff with brake cleaner (the good stuff, not that "safe" crap)
spin tire to check for chipped teeth
catch hand in carrier
swear
remove hand from carrier
drink beer
bandage hand
drink beer

Run bead of "Ultra-Black" on cover, follow directions on can
Reinstall cover, tighten it to "snug"
Add oil - VERY IMPORTANT!!

Rev

Fixed it for ya...

idenify if you have a limited slip or not.. if you do you will need to add a "friction modifier" additive too.. there are so many additives on the market that i would just go to the dealer and get their product...

USE carb cleaner... NOT brake cleaner....
brake cleaner eats through your seals like nobody's business... (why pinion seals leak alot after you change the oil)
carb cleaner will dissolve the oil and is rubber safe...
so ya... use the carb stuff.. its CHEAPER too.. usually only like 89cents a can.....

sidriptide said:
idenify if you have a limited slip or not.. if you do you will need to add a "friction modifier" additive too.. there are so many additives on the market that i would just go to the dealer and get their product...
nope, no posi-track... sadly

witt said:
USE carb cleaner... NOT brake cleaner....
brake cleaner eats through your seals like nobody's business... (why pinion seals leak alot after you change the oil)
carb cleaner will dissolve the oil and is rubber safe...
so ya... use the carb stuff.. its CHEAPER too.. usually only like 89cents a can.....

?!?!?!?!?

Never used carb cleaner....that crap eats paint, plastic, and everything else it hits. Always used Brakleen, never had a problem, 225K miles changes every 30K

YMMV

Rev

Drain pan? Wazzat?

101504f.jpg

:firedevil

Yeah that's why all those fish in Lake Michigan have three eyes and toes. :doh:

karstic said:
Yeah that's why all those fish in Lake Michigan have three eyes and toes. :doh:

I'll have you know, our lovely city of the People's Republic of Illinois, has only the finest sewage system...It doesn't end up in the lake, it ends up in the basements of the poor...

Rev Den said:
?!?!?!?!?

Never used carb cleaner....that crap eats paint, plastic, and everything else it hits. Always used Brakleen, never had a problem, 225K miles changes every 30K

YMMV

Rev

and you think brake cleaner wont eat paint??? :confused1

read on the back of brake cleaner cans... they say "not safe for use on rubber"
and there are carb cleaners that say "safe for use on rubber"
so eh.. just find the ones that say they are safe...
any solvent of the sort will eat through paint.... :doh:

Gil BullyKatz said:
Drain pan? Wazzat?

101504f.jpg

:firedevil
Nice pic....just a question though.......I've seen them b4 but what is the gear for that is next to the ring gear? Looks like a tone ring but those are usually at the wheels.

Bandage?? Semi-clean paper towel and duct tape is all you need...

bretto said:
what is the gear for that is next to the ring gear? Looks like a tone ring but those are usually at the wheels.

it's a tone ring......sometimes the put em in the pumpkin to keep us guessing.

OK, just what is a tone ring....whats it do?:dunno:

four_shot said:
it's a tone ring......sometimes the put em in the pumpkin to keep us guessing.

No guessing involved... its a Ford 8.8, which has the tone ring in the pimpkin, whereas Dana axles have them out near the flanges. What requires guesswork?

bretto said:
OK, just what is a tone ring....whats it do?

A tone ring is part of the wheel speed sensor for the ABS system. Since the 8.8 has only one tone ring in the differential, it must use a 3-channel system; XJ's use a 4-channel system with one tone ring per wheel. The computer compares the values from these sensors to determine wheel lockup and apply the ABS.

Back