• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Driver's Seat Wobble

Quarterwave

NAXJA Forum User
Hi All,

Further to the subject, the drivers seat on my '93 XJ 2 door Sport has wobbled since the day that I bought it (a few months ago now), so after having looked under the seat and compared it to the passenger side - and it looks like a weld has broken on one of the braces that runs from the front left edge of the frame to the front right edge of the frame that is connected to the bottom part of the seat (the cushion part that a driver would sit on)

The result of this is that whenever I get out of the car, the seat bottom tilts down to the left, making it feel like it could break at any time.

If there a way that I could just drill a hole through the brace and bolt it into the bottom of the seat, or do I need to get it welded ?

Any assistance is appreciated in advance.

B Rgds,

Q'Wave

Bolt it together and see what happens. if that does not fix it weld it. Or go the salvage yard and get one.

My suggestion, take it out and have your local repair place weld it back together, should not be a big issue, just put on plenty of wet cloths so none of the 'hot stuff' gets into the seat, dont' drill any extra holes or jury rig it. I had a broken weld on my 98 that I finally had fixed, It was literally giving me a back ache, I took it to an interior shop and for $50 they stripped it, fixed two broken welds and reinforced a couple of more then refoamed the seat and put the cover back on on, result is that it was much sturdier, alot more comfortable with the added foam than it was new and is much sturdier than the passenger side. The passenger side I just noticed the other day when I was sitting there for the first time in months, it was not comfortable at all, not like my drivers side. I will be taking it back for the other side in a couple of weeks next time I am at that customers site for a whole day.

I agree. My 87's driver seat did the same thing. I took it out took everything off of the frame. I went to a local body shop and spent about $15 for them to re-weld it. Worked great and have had no issues since.

8700XJS

Thx for the tips guys. I'll head off to a friend of a friend that is an auto upholsterer for a quote. It'll also give me a chance to take care of that sagging headliner !!!!

B Rgds,

Q'Wave

Quarterwave said:
Thx for the tips guys. I'll head off to a friend of a friend that is an auto upholsterer for a quote. It'll also give me a chance to take care of that sagging headliner !!!!

B Rgds,

Q'Wave

The upholstery on these seats is pretty easy to get off. It's all held on with zippers and the like, and you can peel it right off, and then remove the foam blocks (which aren't glued in). I don't remember the details now, but if you study it I think you'll be able to figure it out. As I recall, the only tricky part was getting the back upholstery off where the headrests attach, but if you're welding the base, you won't have to take it all the way off anyway.

Back