• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hood Vents (dial up beware)

lndrvrxj

NAXJA Forum User
Hood Vents Pics (resized)

ventsclose.jpg

ventsfar.jpg

ventspainted1.jpg

ventspainted2.jpg

Last edited:
:eek: GOOD LORD THOSE ARE SOME BIG PICTURES !! I THINK I CAN READ YOUR VIN. :eek:
Hood vents look great. I've always liked mine. I'm done leaving this note and the pics are still loading and I've got dsl.

What type of vents

What did they come off of ??

The vents look good. I'm curious to know why you blacked out part of the hood.

lndrvrxj said:
I painted the hood because of some scratches that where on the hood

When folks ask that, tell them it's to reduce glare from the roof mounted lights ;)

Heck, I want to paint my hood black for the sheer purpose of mocking the kids with stock Hondas that think thier street racers by painting thier hoods black.

Like the vents thought, look great. Maybe someday I'll get around to installing mine.

Chris

I know why he painted his hood black... look by the tire in the second picture...

it looks like a case of natty light....

You where drunk weren't you.... :D :D :D :D :D

*it maybe a step stool though...;)

hood vents

Hey who makes those vents? Do you happen to know the part# and/or price? I hear that the 4.0L likes to run fairly warm like 210, but mine goes up from there when the air is on or if I'm in traffic for awhile. I would like to add vents to cool things down a bit, plus it looks cool.

Sorry Stien,

The vents do little to nothing to your coolant temperature. Put some LeBaron vents in mine and - B I N G O -

_________nothing happened._________

Well, to be fair, I guess something happened. My hood is less hot to the touch when the vehicle sits idling for a while in hot weather. But as far as keeping the needle down on the temp guage, this is not your solution.

Many XJ's have a wimpy 7/8" thick radiator. Go get a GDI 3 core at AutoZone for $125 and kiss your cooling problems goodbye.

Great, I mentioned the radiator. Here come the posts.....

Jared

DeadEyeJ
My temp dropped 20degrees at idle and slow crawling by putting in two sets of hood vents.
Im not sure what you did differently, but mine move some heat.
And I dont have one of those whimpy GDI radiators. I have one of the custom Be Cool $700 units

DeadEyeJ said:
Sorry Stien,

The vents do little to nothing to your coolant temperature. Put some LeBaron vents in mine and - B I N G O -

_________nothing happened._________

Well, to be fair, I guess something happened. My hood is less hot to the touch when the vehicle sits idling for a while in hot weather. But as far as keeping the needle down on the temp guage, this is not your solution...
Hood vents are not the end-all be-all cooling solution, but they do help and my LeBaron vents make a NOTICEABLE difference on the trail. I would say at least 10* cooler judging by the temp gauge - it simply did not get as hot as it did in summers past. Now for normal driving conditions? No they don't make much difference unless you are sitting in a traffic jam in hot weather...

Well, the pictures didn't load on my broadband, but either way, just thought I would give my imput. My buddy put the vents off of a boat on his hood, and they seem to work good. You can watch the heat pouring out of them. He figured that if they could help cool a 350, they should work pretty good on his. Mount them so that the wind flows overtop of them, rather than as a scoop. This is called the Bernouli (sp?-hey, Im and engineering student, I don't have to spell good). Basically, the air passing over the top of the vents will cause a low pressure area, and cause the hot air in the engine (which is already trying to escape, because hot air rises) is drawn out by this low pressure area. I am gonna put a set on mine as soon as possible.

I had been struggling with a cooling problem this summer so I installed a set of Chy New Yorker Turbo hood vents. They look great and seem to match the style of the XJ. They didn't fix my cooling problem but the AC does run colder so I know there's more air coming throught front.

By the way, my cooling problem was caused by me not using distilled water in my GDI 3 row. I have very hard water here. Calcium deposits clogged those tiny little water tubes.

Back