• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering debate between: wj steering, currie, rustys

bigdelt69

NAXJA Forum User
Im just about ready to lift my xj more..right now i have a 3inch lft and am considering adding 2inch spacers..now i want to hear the pros and cons between these types of steering systems...

I really like the currie setup b/c its bolt on...if it were your rig which type of hd steering would you choose.?

My xj is a 96 with a 3inch soon to be 5 inch lift. I dont do hardly any rock crawling but i do plenty of mudding, plus its my daily driver and i drive quite a bit on the highways.

Don't forget to look at JCR and Rock Krawler. Both have nice setups for around $350.

EDIT: Iron Rock Offroad also has a kit similar to Rock Krawlers

Last edited:
Currie steering is stronger, but the same angles as stock. WJ steering improves the angles. Don't remember what Rusty's steering is.

Don't forget to look at JCR and Rock Krawler. Both have nice setups for around $350.

EDIT: Iron Rock Offroad also has a kit similar to Rock Krawlers

Don't even consider Rock Krawler...I bought their terrible setup last year and when it wasn't working out right their main guy Jeremy had no fix for it and basically just tried to brush me off.

Don't even consider Rock Krawler...I bought their terrible setup last year and when it wasn't working out right their main guy Jeremy had no fix for it and basically just tried to brush me off.

Wanna sell it then?

Ok i just looked on the teraflex website and it says the knuckle will only work with the hd teraflex tie rod and draglink...does anyone know if you can use any other, cheaper, tierods/draglinks with the teraflex knuckle?

I dont want to hijack your thread OP, Im just posting what I have thought about doing and thought this could be another option for you.

From the page, I only see where it says you can only use Teraflex tres not only their drag link and tie rod.

From the Teraflex page:

"Note: The stock OEM tie rod ends will not work in place of TeraFlex’s stock-taper 1-ton tie rod end."

"The knuckle features tapered inserts that make customizing easy by allowing the drag link (knuckle end) to enter from the top or the bottom of the steering arm. The tapered sleeves are available for the drag link to fit stock taper rod ends, or the large taper rod ends (standard Dana 60)."

http://www.teraflex.biz/products/high-steer-knuckle.html

You could always drill out the knuckles to accept 1ton tres like the JCR kit does. Or use a weld in insert for the stock taper. There are probably many other options with heims and other rod ends/tres.

EDIT: This is what I would like to do with a Teraflex knuckle.

Last edited:
Ok i just looked on the teraflex website and it says the knuckle will only work with the hd teraflex tie rod and draglink...does anyone know if you can use any other, cheaper, tierods/draglinks with the teraflex knuckle?

Yes you can. I have run the Teraflex knuckle and I made my own tie rods and used 3/4 heims.

Chris

I vote for Currie. Bolt on beef with no ill side effects or extra engineering involved.

Currie steering is stronger, but the same angles as stock. WJ steering improves the angles. Don't remember what Rusty's steering is.

Richard, the lower end of the Currie draglink actually has an improved angle over the stock setup.

0707_4wd_04_z+currie_enterprises_currectlync_steering_system_install+steering_components.jpg

Back