• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'87 AW4 into '92?

furthur317

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 92 xj with AW4, and the tranny doesn't feel too healthy, plus the 231 transfer case has some slippage. I recently scored an '87 with 4.0, aw4 and 231 also and the tranny AND case had been rebuilt recently with a dying motor.
I was wondering if there would be any issues with putting both the case and tranny in the '92. I know swapping just one wouldn't work due to the output shaft.
Will this just bolt up, or will there be some "real" work involved?

Also, I have a donor junk 79 SJ Cherokee with D44s, and I was wondering if there is a way to swap hubs or somehow get the 4.5 bolt pattern on them since I just purchased new wheels and don't want to swap the 44s on if I have to keep the 6-lug.

Thanks in advance guys

Last edited:
you may have to wire things by hand, but the basic transmission is the same except the older aw4 has a slightly taller overdrive (.70 vs .72 or .72 vs .75, don't remember exactly)

grab wiring diagrams for both vehicles beforehand and make sure it includes wire colors and locations. check the connectors to see if they jive and you may be able to just plug and go.

now... before you go swapping the tranny, make DAMN sure it IS in fact a mechanical problem. the AW4's electronics are 99% of the problems had with the aw4 (which are very few and far between ;) )

as far as making the 44s 5 on 4.5", you'll lose strength by doing this. it is possible, but it would probably be cheaper to buy new wheels (especially in the long run ;) )

Thanks for the reply man. Looks like I'll be attempting this sometime within the next couple weeks.

As far as mechanical vs. electrical, I'm not totally sure.
I feel some slippage under acceleration that seems to be more than usual, and it tends to clunk into gear a bit at lights. I have about 190k on it.
The transfer case chain slips like crazy, making 4wd worthless.

So I think my best bet will be to swap the recently rebuilt itmes into my DD so I have 4wd for winter and then I'll have some time to rebuild the other parts and get them into the 87 later.

Also, based on your advice, I think I'll wait on the d44 swap till I save a bit for gears and lockers, and take my time getting the brackets welded on the front, and maybe new hub bearings, and swap em on when everything is perfect. By then the new wheels won't be so new and I won't mind so much =)

Thanks again.

Furthur

Back