• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Headscratcher: Fuel Leak

LiveWire Jeeper

NAXJA Forum User
I've been investigating a fuel leak on my 89 XJ, and I've run into something I can't identify; hoping someone here can help. The fuel is leaking on the driver's side rear of the truck from a device that looks to be a cylinder about six inches long and 3-4 inches in diameter. It's inline between the fuel cell and the fuel line. When I looked originally, I thought it might be an external fuel pump, which I found strange, because I was pretty sure XJ's use an internal fuel pump like on my TJ. Some checking of the repair manual confirmed this. What the heck is this thing? Some kind of external fuel filter? Something to do with the evap system?

Any help appreciated!

Should be the fuel filter, judging by the location and description. My '90 has one around there, though not quite that big. Maybe 2.5" in diameter and 4-5" long. Sounds like the same thing, though.

-Rich

Replaced the fuel filter today -- the one I removed must've been the original from 1989. It had three 1/4-inch holes rusted through the casing, and the fuel coming out the outlet was more dirty than the stuff coming from the tank. Truck runs MUCH better now.

Thanks all for their help!

Fuel filter should be replaced every 30K. It is too cheap and too easy not to.

Back