• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel Pump or WHAT ??

geepers

NAXJA Forum User
Guys and Ladies,
Help me out here going crazy !! Below is a posting I did weeks ago .. Just wanted to bring you all up to speed ..

After four weeks in cold weather , rebuilt NSS, new CPS, wires , rotor , cap, battery and removed wire harness to check for shorts also while I was doing it front left axel , brakelines , and alot of hair pulling !!!!! Guess what guys I should sell this on line for the tip of the year after reading all the threads about xj no starts ... I will release it here first , however still in testing of day two ... She starts ... I replaced the ignition switch and thought the problem was sloved .. NOT !!! Oh also I gave the fuel pump a shot and bypassed the fuel pump relay to give her a full 12 volts instead of 6v , yes the fuel pump will handle it ..
Week 6 and guess what ?? At times I have no starts and at those times I hear no fuel pump when I turn the key ,, So I turn on and off and on and off untill I hear a fuel pump and she will try to start however sounds like it is flooded .. I can get her started if I push the metal to the floor at which time it blows out the cylinders with major smoke and then she settles down to a 800 rpm and we are on our way ..
Man guys and ladies any idea ?? Is it a fuel pump ?? Should I just plant flowers in her and see her everday ?? I love her but sometimes enough is enough .. ( incase you forgot see above )
Thanks for your help in advance ..
By the way just got my personal plate for her ... Look for Me .. [G PURRS] in PA ..

Try the key on/off trick and see what codes are in the ECU.Have you replaced any relays in the power center,one may be sticking?
Is your distributor in sync?
In my experiance with fuel pumps (2) when they quite working they quite working and you walk.
HTH
Wayne

Geepers, two things come to mind: One, the fuel pump may be bad. Like Wayne says, they usually go all at once and you're ready for the "Hook", but since you've replaced everything else......???

Two, take a look at the fuel pressure regulator. It's on the front end of the fuel rail and very easy to get to. Pull the vacuum hose off, and see if it's damp from fuel. If so, the diaphram is bad and the FPR should be replaced. If raw fuel is getting into the intake manifold through the vacuum hose, that would flood the engine and give the symptoms you describe.

geepers said:
Guys and Ladies,
Help me out here going crazy !! Below is a posting I did weeks ago .. Just wanted to bring you all up to speed ..

After four weeks in cold weather , rebuilt NSS, new CPS, wires , rotor , cap, battery and removed wire harness to check for shorts also while I was doing it front left axel , brakelines , and alot of hair pulling !!!!! Guess what guys I should sell this on line for the tip of the year after reading all the threads about xj no starts ... I will release it here first , however still in testing of day two ... She starts ... I replaced the ignition switch and thought the problem was sloved .. NOT !!! Oh also I gave the fuel pump a shot and bypassed the fuel pump relay to give her a full 12 volts instead of 6v , yes the fuel pump will handle it ..
Week 6 and guess what ?? At times I have no starts and at those times I hear no fuel pump when I turn the key ,, So I turn on and off and on and off untill I hear a fuel pump and she will try to start however sounds like it is flooded .. I can get her started if I push the metal to the floor at which time it blows out the cylinders with major smoke and then she settles down to a 800 rpm and we are on our way ..
Man guys and ladies any idea ?? Is it a fuel pump ?? Should I just plant flowers in her and see her everday ?? I love her but sometimes enough is enough .. ( incase you forgot see above )
Thanks for your help in advance ..
By the way just got my personal plate for her ... Look for Me .. [G PURRS] in PA ..

Back