• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power/Comfort button in dash.

Kristjan

NAXJA Forum User
What are you guys running in your modified Jeep XJ/MJ on 35" + tires ?

I'we heard that 1991 + Chrysler corp did lock these transmission (AW4) in power mode and removed the button ?
Also heard that having it in comfort mode shortens the transmission's life and also sometimes hesitates to take the lock-up because the motor is just booging down do to low Rpm.

Best regards.

Put it in Power and leave it there.

The differences between "Power" and "Comfort" are fairly minor - the shifts in "Comfort" are softer because it takes a bit longer to engage the clutches (leading to shorter clutch life,) and "Power" shifts a bit later, I believe, to wind up the engine more for greater acceleration.

And yes, ChryCo did away with the switch and hardwired it into "Power" mode around 1991/1992. I did the same on my 87 and both of my 89s, and repurposed the actual switch to something else...

My 91 has the switch and I believe a friend's 92 did also. I believe 93 is the year it was hardwired in, or late 92.

My only use for the switch is bumping it with my knee on road trips so I scare the crap out of myself thinking the tranny just blew up. Eventually I'll be using it for something else.

My '92 doesn't have the switch, don't remember offhand whether it's an early or late build for that year.

Agree that it should be left on "power" and taped over/removed.

If you want to bypass the switch and use it for something else, just unplug the 3-wire harness from the switch. There's a tan wire, a black wire, and another wire that has a stripe on it. Make a jumper using a male spade connector on each end of a 6" wire. Plug one end in where the tan wire is and the other end where the striped wire is. Permanent Power Mode.

Ya, I leave it in power for my '91. I feel that it hunts around too much in comfort for a gear, and I don't like it too much.

Comfort will change gears at lower RPM (makes for softer shifts) and will also keep the torque converter lockup engaged when switching from 3rd to OD (Power will disengage the TC lockup when switching from 3rd to OD).

Use whichever position you prefer. I typically drive around town in 3rd because I hate OD bogging down at 40 MPH, and prefer the way Comfort feels.

91 was the last year for it

Last edited:
Back