• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Grand Front Driveshaft questions

GordoSmasho

Nevada Raisins
NAXJA Member
So I have a 97 4door 4.0 ax15 8.25. I'm going to about 6 inches. I'm going to be doing the hack n tap sye and already have the yoke. I had heard about grand cherokee v8 front drive shafts being a few inches longer than xj auto shafts and are a bolt with a sye. I have been searching JYs and have found two zj v8 fronts but both wouldn't work. They both had cvs at one end and a eight bolt ball at the other that fit into a cup flang on the axle pinion. one was a 96 and one was a 98. I'm not sure what to make of this. I know they are longer but am I looking for the wrong thing?

Any help would be great.

Thanks.

i think mine was from a v8 96 zj, measure what you need and goto a j/y and check all the jeeps. theres so many combos,
4.0-232-d35, 4.0-231-8.25, v8-231-d35. theres alot. sometimes you can find one a little longer.

I just measured the one I pulled yesterday from a late 90's ZJ. I didn't look at the engine, but it was an auto/242
31" compressed. 35" (ish) extended.

I did a comparison between it a AW4/231 XJ. The splined portion of the ZJ shaft was thicker and the XJ shaft was 1.5-2" shorter.

HTH,

John

I indeed did find both were the right length but neither had a u joint at the non cv end. and the axle pinion instead of having a yoke for a u joint, in had this cup that the ball on the drive shaft went in. I'm wondering if anyone else has found this and is there a reason for it? I want to avoid the 2 hour drive to the jy again.

Back