• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Installing heated mirrors...

andrew2516

NAXJA Forum User
Well my buddy is giving me a set of mirrors off of a newer XJ. The mirrors are from a a jeep with power and they are heated. My jeep just has manual mirrors right now. I was wondering if there is anyway to hook up the defrost on the mirrors to the defrost switch for my rear winter, this would really help in the winter.

What year is his and what year is yours again ? Since 97 all XJ's had power mirrors, heated option was part of another package. I'd love a set for mine but am not willing to shell out the bucks for them from the dealer.

RichP said:
What year is his and what year is yours again ? Since 97 all XJ's had power mirrors, heated option was part of another package. I'd love a set for mine but am not willing to shell out the bucks for them from the dealer.
and FWIW I found that the heat wiring was plug and play already in the door. At least on my 2k sport.

I have the power heated mirrors from a 97 I think...I'm not really sure. They are in great condition but my jeep currently doesn't have power windows and its a 93.

I mounted them up today and they look great on my jeep.

I had to replace a regular power mirror on my '98 and I ended up with a heated power mirror. Same connection but I do not know if the heater works.

mrfoo said:
I had to replace a regular power mirror on my '98 and I ended up with a heated power mirror. Same connection but I do not know if the heater works.
It won't if you didn't plug it in. There is an extra connector just for it.

scoobyxj said:
It won't if you didn't plug it in. There is an extra connector just for it.
Actually there is only one 6 pin connector. If you have the non-heated versions, you'll have only 4 wires in the connector from the mirror to the door. The heated versions have all 6 wires in the connector from the mirror to the door.
However, all 97+ XJ's with a rear window defroster and power mirrors will all 6 wires on the door to chassis end of the connector. This makes adding heater mirrors 100% plug and play. The heating element is controlled by the rear window defrost (momentary) switch. The rear window defrost (and mirror heaters) automatically shutoff after about 15 minutes or so. :compwork:

The extra "open" 2 wire connector your seeing on the door is for the factory Infiniti tweeters. They are plug and play also.

Last edited:
The extra "open" 2 wire connector your seeing on the door is for the factory Infiniti tweeters. They are plug and play also.

I wonder if scooby's mirror defroster only works when the stereo is on then? LOL

JEEPZZ said:

:sad1: You are right I am sorry. I installed the tweeters at the same time I put the heated mirrors on, and was confusing the two in my head.

scoobyxj said:
:sad1: You are right I am sorry. I installed the tweeters at the same time I put the heated mirrors on, and was confusing the two in my head.

I can imagine the stereo trying to supply enough watts to the heater coils, hmmm, excuse for a bigger amp... :D :D :D

Back