• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

231 SYE tail cone

JohnJohn

Member #42
Can I remove the AA SYE tail cone without draining the t-case? From the looks of the fill plug I can, but I want to ask before I slosh fliud all over myself. I have been tracking down a leak and this will be the second time I have to remove the tail cone and RTV it. I want to save a little time and not drain the t-case.

Thanks,

all the flluid wont come out but some will oil has to be in there to lube the bearing on the output shaft.

azxjman said:
all the flluid wont come out but some will oil has to be in there to lube the bearing on the output shaft.

But no more than normally would be there after full drain, right? There is usually a little left in the cone from the previous action of the pump. I have to let it sit for a few hours to let the cat cool off anyway. :D

<Why did I try a new brand of Silicon Sealant? Back to the "Right Stuff">

Well it wasn't my bad RTV job. From the best I can tell the housing is defective. It looks as if its porous in this one spot. If the cone is a clock the leak occurs at about 3:30-4. Just starts to leak RIGHT OUT OF THE SIDE. Not near the seam, bolt head or anything. These cones look to be cast, my guess is that there was some extra air in this unit while it was in the mold. Anyone seen this happen before?

It's an AA SYE kit from Tom Wood. I'll be calling him Tuesday for a replacements cone. Now off to take those darn rear driveshaft bolts off FOR THE FORTH time. I might as well have it ready when the new cone gets here.

Maybe I'll let it cool and cover the holes with RTV. :)

I slapped some RTV on the outside of the cone and let it sit overnight. I spread it all over about 1/4 of the tail cone. It worked. Drove it around today...no leaks. I can't believe the crummy cone I got. The cone is over 1/4" think and it was so pumice that it leaked right to through the side of the cone. I will be calling Tom Tuesday to get a replacement though.

That stinks, man. If it were me I probably wouldn't bother with the downtime...I'd probably just fill it all in with JB Weld and put it back together after it has cured. :p

Good luck, bud.

JohnJohn,

I've got a 99 cone you can have for cheap in Highlands Ranch if you're looking for a better improvement than RTV.

Chris

Back