• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

KJ rear disc brake lines

Agreen

NAXJA Forum User
After finally finding a decent swap candidate in my local pick n pull, I got the stuff to do a rear disc conversion on my 98 XJ. For $65, I got both sides' worth of backing plates, calipers, rotors, parking brake cables, and brake lines.

I used this write-up: https://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=977809

While there are many write-ups, not many of them spell out all the options for brake lines. Some say to use the 06+ lines, some say don't. Some say to get some from an Explorer, and some said the 03-05 works. Pretty confusing.

Here's what I have found:

-If you take the whole KJ brake line on the rear axle from caliper to caliper, to include the block and rubber line from axle to body, the line WILL thread in to the existing XJ hard line on the body... BUT it is not the correct size. I tried the XJ soft line (going to the axle) on the KJ and noticed that the KJ fitting on the body was slightly larger than the XJ fitting. So the XJ is (most likely) 3/8" fitting, and the KJ is (most likely) a 10mm. It's deceptive, and will not work. You WILL strip the threads.

-If you take the soft lines from the KJ (with integral hard lines) off the KJ axle up to the block, they also don't fit... BUT you can cut the fittings off the KJ lines, throw them away, and use the fittings from your XJ lines. Flare the ends (3/16" die) with the XJ fittings on and that's it!

I used all the parts from an '03 Liberty. The 06+ brake lines go from the caliper, through a soft line, mount to the body, molds directly to a hard line, and goes forward pretty far down the body. This doesn't look like it will work at all. I did not confirm the use of the Ford lines, since I already had all the Liberty stuff anyway.

If anyone else has a good (correct) solution for KJ disc brake lines, maybe post it here for future search reference.

I just had some made to fit my factory brake lines.
P1080577_zps93piic4z.jpg

Originally I just used some ZJ lines but I wasn't satisfied with the fit.
P1080480_zpsxzirn0x5.jpg

Back