• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replace add a leaf with shackle

rsliman

NAXJA Forum User
I’ve got a 98 XJ sport. I bought it in 2005, and put a 3in pro comp lift on it. Ive wheeled it all over Arizona. It rides stiff as hell. Ide like to replace the add a leaf with lift shackles. Anyone done this? Pros/cons?

I don't know that I have ever seen a 3" lift shackle for an Xj. That would be quite long. I would do a set of HD Offroad shackle relocation brackets and a pair of lift shackles to keep you at the 3" lift and improve your ride.

Add-a-leafs suck in general, but PC is one of the worst! Get some good springs/shackles and be done with it.

Short AAL or full length ?

The short AAL suck, the full length ones are pretty good, especially if you are on a budget. If the leaf springs are stock, extended shackles will quickly invert the springs and ruin them. Don't forget, the shocks could easily be the reason for the stiff ride.

If your on a budget, consider a bastard pack and shackles. I have a NIB set of "boomerangs" available.

Back