• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Cabin Noise Vs WJ

Goldstone

NAXJA Forum User
Just bought a 2001, 2wd, Auto, Sport, all stock. Got it to eventually replace my 2001 WJ since i got a good deal on the xj and the wj is getting up there in mileage. I'll be using the xj as a daily driver and will be upgrading the steering and suspension for highway use.
I've been driving both for my daily commute and I'm noticing a hell of a lot more interior noise in the xj. Rear wheel bearings need to be replaced so I know they're adding to the noise. Also the mechanical fan adds a bit of volume coming from the engine bay.
I originally assume the xj had far less sound insulation than the wj since it was designed for luxury, but though some of my repairs, I'm not seeing a world of difference in padding. The headliners in both are similar enough. I noticed similar padding under the carpet of the xj, also behind the hatch panel. Door insulation on the xj looks as good if not better than the wj, though i haven't checked all doors yet.
The only difference I know of is there's no cover attached to the underside of the hood. I can't imagine that would make that much difference in noise.
I'm beginning to think the major difference might be within the dash or fire wall. As I'm writing this, I'm also thinking the there might be more sound dampening in the air box.
Anyone have any thoughts? BTW, new member, first post.:wave: I switched over from Jeeps Forum since I kept winding up here when googling anything "XJ"

XJ's had the under hood cover as well. Time is not nice to them and many have simply deteriorated over time to be nothing left but the push pins.

Keep in mind the WJ has a more aerodynamic shape than the XJ. They could have also used thicker glass to keep external noises down but I'm not sure on that I haven't owned a Grand.

Rear coil springs are quieter than leaves.

Welcome to NAXJA! Having owned both. XJ's just don't compare in regards to overall comfort IMHO. Other than a open top jeep, they are probably the worst when it comes being quiet. The underhood padding would have a something to do with noise, not all of it but some. There's also more space in a WJ than the XJ and inturn you're going to have more insulation to help with sound. XJ's are as aerodynamic as a brick so there's always some whistle or howl coming from somewhere. Tires are also another area that will contribute to road noise. Unibodies on a WJ are thicker so will absorb a little more than the XJ. If the WJ had an underbody coating it could help with the road noise over the XJ. Really the only way to make it quieter on the inside is to add some sound deadening material.

XJ's had the under hood cover as well. Time is not nice to them and many have simply deteriorated over time to be nothing left but the push pins.

Keep in mind the WJ has a more aerodynamic shape than the XJ. They could have also used thicker glass to keep external noises down but I'm not sure on that I haven't owned a Grand.

Not sure mine ever had a cover and have been thinking about grabbing one at the junkers if find one. I have noticed more wind noise at the windshield. Good point on the glass. I'll check with a caliper just out of curiosity.

Really the only way to make it quieter on the inside is to add some sound deadening material.

Thanks for the welcoming:cheers:. I'm currently working on the headliner and have some rubber to stick to the roof. My main noise complaint might be coming from the intake. It's not a "Good" engine sound. I might have a slight vac leak and need to check it out. I read up on resonators and I'm curious if the addition of one would help, though I don't know if I would be able to improvise one from a wj.
I knew the xj wasn't going to be as quiet as the grand, but hope to improve it a bit. I installed a Banks Cat Back over the weekend which is obviously counterproductive in this context:spin1:, but I like its tone and hate the interference coming from the engine bay.

Don't expect much sophistication. The XJ Cherokee was designed in the early 1980's and was one of the first, if not the first, unibody SUV. The Engineers likely learned a great deal about noise/vibration/harshness in between the design of the XJ, and the WJ.

Install some mud terrain tires, and all the noises disappear, except one.

Last edited:
I used FatMat on the roof, floors and inside all the doors and rear fenderwells. It helped a lot with the noise and my A/C is able to keep up better as well. That's important when its 110 down here in Phoenix. Its still noisy inside but not nearly as bad as before the FatMat.

I did a little sound deadening in my '00 XJ. More because I had to open up things so it was more a while we are thing. Frankly I think it made an improvement but.....

Did a little write up.

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/sound-deadening-2000-cherokee-sport-4086497/

If you really want to see some sound deadening check out this build thread.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f46/project-keeping-clean-240404/

Starts around Post #7 but might want to check out the whole build. Very Impressive IMO.

Starts around Post #7 but might want to check out the whole build. Very Impressive IMO.

That's freeriders rig. He's on here. Dude does amazing work :worship:.

I daily drive both a stock 99 XJ and a 00 WJ. There’s no debate the XJ sounds like a tracked vehicle compared to the WJ.

The WJ has a giant firewall/dash compared to the XJ. The WJ body construction is enhanced. Also if you pull the carpet from the WJ what’s underneath is great quality insulation and almost rubber liner.

When I ride in the XJ I just roll the windows down or crank up the tunes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used FatMat on the roof, floors and inside all the doors and rear fenderwells. It helped a lot with the noise and my A/C is able to keep up better as well. That's important when its 110 down here in Phoenix. Its still noisy inside but not nearly as bad as before the FatMat.

Yeah, I'm in New Orleans so I'm lining the roof before summer. We have a lot of moisture down here though. If I was in phoenix I'd have to add an interior humidifier too.

I daily drive both a stock 99 XJ and a 00 WJ. There’s no debate the XJ sounds like a tracked vehicle compared to the WJ.

Which do you prefer driving? I like the WJ on the Interstate and XJ for everything else. It's really good for city driving, especially when that city is New Orleans with streets covered in pot holes. The WJ will handle them fine, but Im having more fun dodging them with the Cherokee.

Update. I've insulated the roof and found an oem "under the hood cover". These have helped and I'm close to satisfied. Still hearing a lot of wind noise, specifically at the driver's side top corner. I think it's either the door seam at the top corner of the window, the front end of the drip edge/gutter, or the corner of the windshields weather stripping. I havent added any insulation to the floor but do plan on packing some insulation inside the interior panel at the back wheel wells.

Now that I've replaced the failed oem shocks with bilstiens, I'm noticing how much tighter the xj is with ride and handling. Its quite a difference from the WJ, but I'm starting to really enjoy it.

Most likely the door weatherstrips and window seals will need to be replaced as well. Even the youngest set is pushing 20 years old and they get dry and shrink and cause air leaks. Its something im working on on my XJ as well one window at a time. I replaxed the driver and passnger front door weatherstrip and the hatch weatherstrip and that help a bit on its own even without wndow seals.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I'll look into it, but I've been really surprised how well the weatherstripping and rubber seals have held up. It is an '01, but your right, that's almost 20 years.

Most likely the door weatherstrips and window seals will need to be replaced as well. Even the youngest set is pushing 20 years old and they get dry and shrink and cause air leaks. Its something im working on on my XJ as well one window at a time. I replaxed the driver and passnger front door weatherstrip and the hatch weatherstrip and that help a bit on its own even without wndow seals.

Replaced the weatherstrip with what??

New weatherstrip...?

Back