• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which way would you go? 4.5 in lift

GreaseMonkey17

NAXJA Forum User
To motivate my build I bought 32/11.50/15’s last night . However I have looked at lifts until I’m blue in the face. I don’t really love any one package. Sadly the best lifts option wise seem to be rough country and all I read on the internet is bad things about rough country . I would love to go rubicon express or something similar but again the items in their package lifts are lacking in my opinion . What would you do? Wanting short arms with drop brackets and this is a hunting rig and bad weather rig that might see wheeling a couple times a year . Thanks

at 4.5" you start running into some issues. SYE is probable, brake lines are recommended (but not necessary), and driveline angles can wear your DS joints out quickly if not setup right. pinion angles etc. Mines a rock crawler so I've done all the above because I need the flex and I'm going higher soon.

A 3.5" lift kit may suit you better and should be able to stuff your 32's with ease. You could get RE 3.5" springs front and rear and call it a day.

then you could add a lunchbox locker up front with the cash you didn't spend on lift...

3.5" will be enough to clear the 32's with less issues as DenverD1 stated. No need for 4.5 for that tire size. Or you can get upcountry coils, bastard pack the rear, cut the fenders for additional clearance, proper bumpstops you'll be good to go. I'd personally look at Old man emu if you want a little lift. Little more expensive than some but ride quality is top notch. BDS also make a good kit. Definitely would consider a solid traction device over more height any day.

I have been to Moab numerous times. The first time was on a 2" budget boost, which grew to a 3.5 inch RE lift, which then grew to 5.5 inches of lift. At 3.5 inches, I installed an SYE.

For almost any 4x4 trip, traction is more important than lift height. Lock the rear axle first.

The u-joints are fine even at 5.5 inches of lift.

RE, OME, Iron Rock, and BDS are all good lift kit makers.

The site logged me out halfway through a lengthy post . If I can clear 32’s without trimming fender I will . But I do not like cut up fenders on an XJ. I am a mechanic for a living and have no issues doing my own work but am unfamiliar with lift kits etc . The internet has lead me to believe if I don’t go with fully adjustable control arms I’ll regret it etc so I may be doing major overkill?

You can clear 32's without cutting up fenders. You might have some rub but not the worst thing. Most hack fenders to keep a low COG and would rather chop fenders vs lifting higher. Higher you lift more problems you have and the geometry sucks. Adjustable lowers are nice but not 100% necessary. Uppers you can get away with stock. What is your budget on getting going?

Budget is great right now but I’d rather not dump all my money into my Jeep if I don’t HAVE to . I’m not going to lie the x-series rough country lift has the most attractive options for the money .

I fit 33s on a 4.5" lift without trimming. Just make sure that you bumpstop properly.

I think the info we need is what specific kits have peaked your interest and what about those kits are lacking in your opinion. (Posting links will help the most)

Example:

https://www.quadratec.com/products/...MI4__hr6ar2QIVCIN-Ch0tXwq-EAQYASABEgJ3nPD_BwE

-adjustable UCA

Dislikes:
-sway bar disconnects are super small and I expect them to bend.

I don’t like that it doesn’t have a boomerang or angled rear shackle to help with the shackle angle for better ride and articulation so to me it requires extra parts ... don’t like the cheap disconnects and not both sets of control arms are adjustable , also don’t like that it doesn’t have drop brackets and that there drop brackets are so expensive .

Boomerang shackles dont automatically give you a better shackle angle.

They were created to move the shackle metal out of the way that would normally contact the back of the body when the suspension is compressed. the length of the shackle is still the same eye to eye measurement.

The boomerang shackle will only benefit your flex if a straight shackle of the same length would contact the body and limit up-travel.

Think of it this way. If you are sitting at a table, try hitting the bottom of the table without bending your elbow. Then try again with a bent elbow.

As for the drop brackets, you can buy a different brand bracket than the lift. Same with any component of the kits really. Unfortunately there doesnt seem to be a perfect short arm with drop brackets lift out there that I can tell from quick searching.

Personally I dont think that adjustable lowers are necessary. uppers are def needed tho

Last edited:
If you cant find a kit you like completely, try piecing one together with the parts you really want and see what that total comes out to.

It may be worth the extra $100-$200 or whatever to get everything to your liking.

That is why I am piecing my new rig together with parts from many different companies; trying to get the best of all worlds.

Sorry I’m at work so hard to write everything out that I’m thinking I know boomerangs don’t automatically fix shackle angle relocation boxes would be an option as well etc I was just mentioning that

No lift kit is "complete" and most include some parts that are a bit on the cheap side to keep the price lower. Whatever parts you don't like, you can easily re-sell.

Ok so if I handed you 1500 what would you buy for my Jeep ? I think I saw the steering package I’m going with the Rugged Ridge set up. I’m not ready to go heim or do anything hardcore just yet .

Ok so if I handed you 1500 what would you buy for my Jeep ? I think I saw the steering package I’m going with the Rugged Ridge set up. I’m not ready to go heim or do anything hardcore just yet .

Rugged Ridge anything is a "Mistake"!

Back