• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Driveshaft Problem

deesiexj

NAXJA Forum User
I had to have y jeep towed the other day and i have a question. the tow truck towed it from the rear, with the front wheels on the ground. i put the transmision in neutral, but not the transfercase. now, after picking it up today, i have a squeel, almost a singing, coming from what sounds like the front driveshaft. did i eff something up, and if i did, what could it be?:helpme:
oh, i have a 1990 4.0L AW4 with NP242 if that makes a difference.

pull the front driveshaft and find out what it is.
before you pull it, grab it and try to move it laterally. If the yoke on the axle or the yoke in the T-Case have any side play likely the bearings are toasty.
if those check out OK then pull the shaft and check it out.
If you pull the shaft and the noise is still there it's in the front axle.
If you pull the shaft and te noise goes away its in the shaft or the t-case front output.
With the shaft out, put the case in 4WD and see if the noise comes back, if so, then it's the front output in the case.

there was no lateral movement when i checked it. i havent pulled the shaft yet, and how hard would it be to do that? what all is involved?

Why was the Jeep towed in the first place?

My front was toasted and sounded just like that. I just unbolted it and pulled it out. I had to use a mallet to unseat the u-joint. Very easy. All three of the u-joints were toast. I took it to a driveline shop and they fixed it. About $140 to rebuild which is better that $240 for a new one!

fatxj, it was towed because it wouldnt start. turns out i had 2 inches of water in my distributor cap. anybody know a good way to seal one up?( and no, i havent done anything to fill the cap with water, ie water crossings, or even any good wheelin)

The only way to tow a Jeep with the 231 T/C is flat tow, or disconect the drive shaft. More than likely it burned up the bearings on the front output of the T/C. Try disconecting the front drive shaft, and see if the noise goes away. It's pretty much standard practice NOT to stinger a 4x4 now days. You may get tower to be resposable for any damage caused by there neglect.

goodburbon said:
Pick up the clue phone.
:phone: Hello? Yes, I'd like a clue please.
:doh: Well hell. I've read this about three times, and didn't see that. Even so on a 242 the front drive shaft turns all the time if it was towed with the rear off the ground then the front output bearing are shurly toast. :rtm:

Jeep Cherokee Owners Manual said:
Caution Vehicles must not be towed with the front wheels on the ground, and the rear wheels lifted unless the front drive shaft is disconected or transfercase damage will result.

Last edited:
Back