• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

towing...

mikeny59

NAXJA Member #300
I've read that an xj can tow about 5k pounds. Dumb question probably, but with a trailer with a gvw of about 3k, I'm assuming all I can throw on the trailer is 2k?

thanks...

Second imbecilic question, how much does onboard load weight impact the 5k figure?!?

I tow with my XJ's all the time, I can assure you that even with trailer brakes I wouldn't tow more than 3500# on the highway. The XJ's just don't have enough weight to safely handle more than that in a panic situation. The XJ does have the ability to move that much weight(5k) just not handle it.

I bought this great trailer a few years ago, all aluminum, 5x8, so easy to push around, my eyes popped when I looked at the reggie. I use it locally for bikes and building materials.

My better half and I bought a small place in Fl., but we don't get too much time down there. I wanted to buy a bunch of Ikea stuff up here in NY and save what precious time we spend there doing anything but shopping for furniture. Hence the I95 trailer adventure.

Forget it. Just going to build/buy a decent roof rack, borrow from a friend one of those gear carriers that utilize the hitch, supposedly holds 500 lbs. or so, stuff the inside w/as much as we can, and call it a twenty-hour day.

Thanks for the heads up; not used to 80mph panic stops; still stuck in the past - NY max. 55mph...

Not bumping thread but friend at work said the "WT/SEATS" on my NYS reg. that says 2990 is total weight of loaded trailer. If so, what's the weight of trailer alone?!?

Right now it's sitting under a tarp and a heckload of cca, before I tear into that mess, will there probably be a riveted plate w/some load specs?

BTW, it's a "Compliment" make, expensive compared to others of the same size but built like a tank...

Thanks,

Back